Epilogue

Epilogue:

The blonde-haired girl sat on the chasm walkway in the dead of night, creating a scenery she quite hated for herself. But she felt that it was necessary to do what she needed to do. On her lap, a small sheet of paper lay on top of a notebook. The girl sat with a pen in her fingers, biting down on the edge, thinking of what to write.

Dear Jake,

I don't REALLY know why I'm writing this, especially since you will never read the letter that I'm writing. Something that I made sure of in our initiation days.

She paused her streak of inspiration and pulled herself away from the paper. This was a closure letter and claiming that she was responsible for his death – a fact that she was supposed to be working on moving on from – was not the best way to start her closure letter. She had let herself fall into that hole of guilt and misery for far too long now, only to let the letter which is supposed to be her closure pull her back into that.

She turned over the paper and stared at the blank page, before turning it back to the side which was written on and crumpling it up. With the new arm-strength the Dauntless initiation had given her, she chucked the ball of paper far into the chasm – gone – just like Jake was.

Jake,

I don't know why I'm writing this letter. Or at least, that's what I would like to tell myself. Telling myself that makes me feel – I don't know. Stronger?

Well, the real reason that I'm writing this letter is because I talked to someone. Writing a letter to my mom helped, but a few days after I moved in with Mia, I saw your jacket – something which she had hidden away from the Dauntless officers who came to clear your stuff out. I don't know why, but that triggered something in me. I burst out crying, the reason for which Mia still hasn't figured out yet. She suggested – because she thought it was the stress of the new job- Oh, yeah, I'm a Dauntless leader now, by the way – was getting to me – she suggested I should see a therapist. There – it's out – the youngest Dauntless leader is seeing a therapist.

I thought the idea was silly, at first, but it's really helped. Wendy is a typical Amity. It's really nice to interact with someone so energetic and on the sunny side of everything. And I, well I suppose there's no harm in admitting seeing as, one you're dead, and two you already know I'm divergent, she brings out the Amity side in me as well. It's happy and uplifting and healing. At the end of today's session, she suggested I write a letter, a closure letter. I thought it was stupid at first.

But obviously, I'm sitting here writing this, so, I changed my mind.

...

It's harder than I thought it would be actually, writing to a dead person.

What should I tell you?

I can tell you that Mia's really enjoying her job as ambassador. She's been interacting with a lot of Amity folk, so it makes her feel as though she hasn't REALLY lost her old faction. I wish I could say the same, but then again, I've never had such a high regard for Abnegation as she does for Amity. But I do have a high regard for my parents – and seeing them get thrashed in the news almost every other day? That hurts.

I want you to also know that I'm doing okay. I don't know if you'll really care, wherever you are, but some part of me wants to believe that before the divergence, and the fighting and the really nasty looks that I can now understand, you cared for me – because I cared for you too. So, I would like to go back to that Jake. The Jake that would hopefully be happy to hear that I got my dream job of being a Dauntless leader, and that I'm really enjoying the training course. The Jake that would be shocked but supportive to hear I've started dating Eric, and the one that would hopefully convince Four that that's alright.