Chapter 16: Visiting Day

550 Reads!!! Thanks so much guys:)

When I wake up, I am laid on an infirmary bed with Four sitting beside me lazily on the chair, almost falling asleep. The last thing I remember is Austin lunging on me, pushing me backwards, resulting in me hitting my head on a metal chair behind me. But the events which occurred a few hours ago are now blurry. I can't remember who lost and who won. I slowly push the blankets away from my body and get up, stumbling a little. My entire body hurts. I feel a spot on the back of my skull which has most probably received stitches. I need to know if I won or lost. Four is now drooling a little as his head lolls forward. I shake him awake gently, wanting to tell him we can go back to the dorms now.

"Huh? What? Andi! You're not supposed to be walking around. You know that right?" He says, confused at first, but his tone quickly turning firm.

"It was a small fall. I'm fine. Really. We need to go back to the dorm. Who won?"

"You did. It was totally uncalled for, him pouncing on you like that after the match had ended."

I nod to show that I acknowledged what he said, and then pick up my shoes from the side of my bed and start walking down a tunnel to the dorms.

"Shouldn't we tell the nurse?"

"It's Dauntless." I say, as though it explains everything, but at this point, it really does. We make our way back to the dorms, which are empty, a little astounding.

"How long was I out for?"

"A night."

Great. I was out for a whole night. I wonder what my ranking is. Four turns his back to me, brushing his hair in the mirror, trying to look at little presentable.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, a quick look at the clock on the wall telling me it's a little too late for breakfast.

"It's visiting day."

His words hit me like a brick wall. I can't believe I forgot about visiting Day. Visiting Day is arguably the day that I have been dreading since I arrived at Dauntless. Visiting Day is the one day that families from other factions can visit. But most of the families of those who transferred are too disgruntled at the choice of their beloved to visit them. Or too busy with other important things. Sometimes both, like in my case. Some of the families which do visit eventually stop. It's hard to keep it up. Traveling between compounds, registering every visiting day at the front desk... Eventually it gets too tiring to keep it up. I know my parents won't show up, but it doesn't stop me from hoping. It's especially stupid, because I know I will be disappointed and have to cry myself to sleep. I can't cry.

It's dreadful. I think to myself, as I get changed, Four politely waiting with his back turned so he's facing away from me.

"Do you think your dad will come to visit?" I ask, already knowing the answer. I don't think the Abnegation leader would be very happy with his son's choice.

I can't see his face, but I can almost taste the discomfort suddenly floating in the room.

"He doesn't exactly approve of my choice." He says, his voice contorted with an emotion I am not familiar with hearing in his voice. Fear. "I wouldn't want him to show up anyway." He adds, as an afterthought, as I finish pulling on the longest-sleeved black top I can find to hide my tattoo. It's lame, especially since my parents aren't going to show up, but if they do, the Candice in me still wants to please them. Still wants to make them happy.

"Hey, There's a girl in there with blonde hair looking for someone named Candice? Do you know her?" Mia walks in, delivering news that makes my heart jump.