Chapter 24: Amar's Friends

Hey guys!! 1000 Reads! I never thought that I would get this far, so thanks to all of you! I know I've been totally missing these past few weeks, that is everyone has actually noticed, but I've had a busy few weeks. I'm back, although I don't know how regularly I will be able to update. BE patient with me! Anyway, the (hopefully) long awaited chapter 24!

Chapter 24:

I wake up in the morning to a banging metal stick, with soft comforters underneath me, unable to open my eyes, clinging on to last night's events. The last I remember; I fell asleep on Eric's shoulder at the end of the hallway after we kissed last night.

Oh my god! We kissed!

But I'm still slightly confused as to how I'm back at the dorms for Amar to wake me up with his damned stick. The only conclusion I can come to, which is one that makes my heart flutter even more than it is already: he carried me back. I'm about to open my eyes and take in the world around me, my heart sinking when it realizes that I'm back to this world, the world in which Jake remains dead, and initiation continues, and I remain unable to look at Mia without feeling an overwhelming amount of guilt build inside me.

I sit up slowly, rubbing my eyes and taking in the room around me. Four is sitting on the bed next to mine, facing away from me and towards Eric who is pulling on a shirt, with a scowl on his face. I turn my eyes away from the two and their petty rivalry and face the other direction, in which Mia is hovering, slightly damp after a shower, over Jakes bed. The sight makes me even more unwilling to get out of bed.

But this is the real world – and life waits for no one.

Slowly, I pull the sheets off of me, glad that I was out last night which meant that I had slept in the clothes I had already been wearing, so I don't need to change. I don't take a shower either, because that requires asking Mia to help me, and I can't ask Mia anything right now. I can barely even look at her. Mia sees me, and her face lights up in a way that it definitely shouldn't. I see her hurry to get off Jake's bed and come over to me, but I can't tolerate seeing her. Seeing her brings back the fact that I took away what she could've had – a future with the person that she loved. So naturally, because I might be Dauntless by looks but definitely not at heart, I run away. I scurry out of the dorm hoping that it appeared as though I didn't see her.

It takes me a lot less time than it did at the beginning of initiation to reach the Pit, a mark that I'm learning this place from my time spent here. When I enter, I am met by the bustling crowd of Dauntless that I have grown accustomed to encountering. It seems sickening to me that they can forget so easily about the death, apparent suicide, of one of their initiates just two days ago. I see Shauna and Zeke sitting together on one of the tables, but I don't want to go over to them. Mia will probably sit at that table as well, and I don't have enough Dauntlessness to face her after what happened. I scan the room further, my eyes settling on Eric, who is sitting at a table with Sean, at the far end of the Pit. It probably isn't the best idea, but I head over to them, knowing that their table is somewhere Mia won't follow me.

"Hey" I say, tapping Eric lightly on the shoulder, half expecting him to turn around and embrace me in a hug, but knowing that won't happen.

A warm smile would have been nice though.

Instead, all I get is Eric, not even turning around, saying, "What do you want stiff?"

I can't believe he's back to acting like this – like nothing happened – acting like the Jerk that I thought last night proved he wasn't. Sean sends me a small apologetic smile before looking back down at the table, leaving me alone, looking like an absolute fool, standing in the Pit after just being insulted by someone who had made me feel safe.