Dinner

Percy did her best to memorize the way to the kitchen, although she was sure she wouldn't be able to find her way back to the room. She was yet again astounded by the sheer opulence of the mansion. Even when she thought of the people that Alfred said shared the mansion, it still seemed like too much.

"Don't worry Ms. Jackson, Master Bruce is quite nice when he wants to be. I made pasta, I thought that would be the simplest. Roy has already informed me of your dietary requirements. I assume chicken alfredo is a suitable meal?" Alfred asks and Percy nods, somewhat lost in thought.

"Yes, sounds delicious,"

Alfred notices how distracted Percy seems and smiles sadly. He could understand where she was coming from. The fire from years ago still left its scar. He would still catch himself looking for something that he knew was gone. While that was years ago, it hadn't even been a day for Percy. He couldn't imagine what she was feeling at the moment, all alone.

Alfred leads her into the kitchen, pointing to where a table place is set for her at the island. Previously, in past generations, the table was used for the servants. Now, Bruce had turned it into the family dinner table, locking up the cold dinning room. Bruce was already at the table, eating dinner.

"Hello Percy, how are you doing?" He asks, watching as she twirls her fork in her food.

"Oh, I'm fine, thanks for asking," She says, forcing a smile. Bruce accepts this answer and goes back to eating, watching her out of the corner of his eye.

"Oh um, Bruce? Thanks for letting me stay here. I'll be outta here by tomorrow night," She says, seemingly embarrassed.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about that. I've been trying to find someone to become a live-in security guard. The job wouldn't really entail anything really, pretty much you'd be here as a deterrent. I might ask that you attend some of my parties to serve as security or accompany me some places but other than that, there wouldn't be much for you to do," Bruce asks, looking at Percy intensely.

Oh.

"Um, I'm flattered but I'm already working at your company? Is this like an extension of that?" Percy asks, actually starting to eat her food.

"No, this would be separate. While working at Wayne Enterprises, you'll receive a check from the payroll account. Working from me, you'll get a check from me. And I'll make sure it doesn't interfere with your work or your life,"

"I believe what Master Bruce is trying to say is that you aren't required to do anything special aside attend a few parties or events," Alfred interjects, thankfully clarifying what Bruce was trying to explain to a very confused Percy.

"Oh, uh, I couldn't ask that of you," Percy says, flushing bright red.

"Nonsense. It isn't charity, you'll be doing actual work for me," Bruce says hurridly, although he wasn't exactly telling the truth. He didn't expect Percy to do much, all he wanted was to keep an eye on her and help her as much as he could. He had a feeling if he just offered her a place to stay, she wouldn't take it out of pure pride.

"Ms. Jackson, there is a man out front named Nico here to see you?" Alfred interrupts seconds before Nico bursts into the kitchen, startling both Bruce and Alfred.

Bruce assesses him, looking for any threat he might pose. He was pale and skinny, dressed in all black with a dark aviator jacket over his clothes. A mop of dark hair hid his eyes and he looked as if he could use a few more hours of sleep. He could tell that he was trained, but not nearly so well as Percy.

"Neeks!" Percy yells, jumping up and running towards him.

They collide with each other, Bruce wincing as he sees the impact. Bruce was very confused. He knew Alfred wouldn't have let someone they didn't know into the house. So how did this guy get in? They had one of the most advanced security system.