Chapter 5

Gerard's POV

Fuck this...
I'm sure we've said this at least once, but for real... Fuck this. I watched the rain hitting my window, the sound making the gloomy day apparent. It was pouring, mud running, and the sound of steady rain being a constant since 7 am this morning. I rolled over to stare at the wall, a flash of light coming from the window and a loud clap of thunder following it after a minute or two.

I felt like I had been dropped out of the sky, wrapped up in my Star Wars covers, and sighing lightly as I tried to will myself to get out to eat. It should be dinner time soon, I was prepared to face the warm rain, but I just had to get out of bed. The internal battle went back and forth, slowly putting the blanket to my hip at the very least. Slowly, I moved the blanket down over time, eventually kicking the blanket off of my feet, and released a small sigh once more as I got out of bed for the second time; the first was to use the bathroom.

I pulled on some shorts, keeping my T-shirt on as I slipped on a raincoat and my waterproof shoes. I grabbed my MP3 and headphones, just so I had something to do while I ate. I knew the rain would slow down soon, but I don't know when that would be. I hadn't eaten all day and I was feeling weak, so I figured I'd face the rain anyway. I grabbed my keys and unlocked my door, going into the hall to see that it was barren. I internally fist-pumped as I locked my door back and started to walk to the door.

Upon opening it, I could see that it was a drizzle, barely. I guess the scene outside my window was more concentrated, seeing as the wind was up against my side of the building. I started to walk down the path, hearing a slight squeak from somewhere in the woods. I stopped in my tracks to attempt to hear it, though the wind, rain, and running water of the creek nearby was louder. I heard the small squeak again, going over to where I assumed it was coming from.

Up ahead, a little squirrel was squeaking and wriggling in the mud. It looked like it was stuck, so I gradually got closer and bent down to help the squirrel. It was obviously panicked, trying to get away quickly but was stuck so deep in the mud that it just looked like a wiggling mess. Soon, I believe the squirrel started to realize how stuck it was, its breathing was rapid and it occasionally twitched to try pulling its front paws out. I felt a pang in my chest, carefully reaching down and picking up the squirrel to help get it out of the mud. I held it close, standing up and bringing it to a nearby tree, letting it climb up with ease. "Be safe, don't get stuck again please," I whispered amongst the now sprinkle of rain. I sighed and looked to the creek, carefully stepping towards it to see the clear rushing water.

It was so clear that you could see the rocks at the bottom, smoothed over by the constant erosion from the current of the water. I sighed and started to turn around, feeling my heart drop as I felt my foot's grip slide. I, out of instinct, let out a scream as I felt a little bit of pressure and pain collide against the side of my head. I tried to get up again, feeling my vision go in and out, groaning and trying to find the functions to move so I could sit up. I didn't succeed in moving at all, my eyes now shutting and my mind blanking slowly. I tried to keep conscious, but it slowly slipped from my metaphorical grip as I felt myself lose consciousness.