Chapter 8

Frank's POV

I lay on my bed, twiddling my thumbs for a bit as I waited for lunchtime to roll around... Or rather a certain someone to drop by. I know, I just barely met the... Person? Maybe I should've asked their pronouns. Even if this was an all-boys camp, I didn't want to assume anything. After a while, I just rested a little because I knew deep down I probably scared them.

Gerard.

I sighed and looked at the clock, getting up and stretching as I prepared myself to eat. I, unfortunately, slept through dinner and breakfast, so my blood sugar was quite low; though I did spike it a bit with a pixie stick just to ward off the headache I'd most likely get. I slipped on a jacket, not wanting to get burnt now that the sun was out. I trekked down the dirt path, seeing that there was only a bit of water left from the rain. I could hear the rushing water of the river, smiling a little as I saw the Wolf cabin hidden slightly by trees.

I went and walked to the mess hall, seeing the line and joining the boys who waited for their serving of lunch. I got up to the window, ordering a salad with veggie eggrolls and a side of strawberries. "Vegetarian, eh?" The man asked as he put my strawberries on the side, smiling a little bit. "Since I was eight," I answered, grabbing my plate and thanking him as I went over to the Fox table. I sat down, rather annoyed that I had to sit at a designated table. After opening my strawberries and eating a few, I started to pick at my salad a bit. That is before I saw them again.

They were wearing that cut-off Misfits hoodie without sleeves, baggy shorts, and clean converse. I saw them sit down at the Wolf table after they grabbed their food, but they were fidgeting a little as they ate. I picked up my plate and went over to their table, seeing their surprised expression.

"I wanna get to know you," I blurted out, seeing their surprised expression deepen before they looked away. "I don't want you to," Gerard whispered, though I could barely hear the words as they silently ate. They were shy, but I was reminded how shy people were; the best you'll ever meet. "Why not? I think we'd get along okay, we have a similar music taste at the very least," I told them, tilting my head a little as I rested my head on my hand. "But we're in different cabins," They whispered, still looking down. I could tell it was probably an awkward moment, trying to talk to someone new, but I thought they were really cool.

"So? We're cabin neighbors, what does being in different cabins have to do with it?" I asked gently, seeing them look up through their hair and giving myself a high five on being correct that their eyes were beautiful. "But you don't know me," They stated, rather confused as they sat up a little bit. "That's the point of getting to know you," I responded, smiling a little bit to make them a bit more comfortable. "... You won't regret it?" They asked quietly, tilting their head a little bit, mimicking my body language. "Not a bit. Deal?" I responded, holding out my hand for them. They hesitated a bit, seemingly thinking before they shook my hand.

"Frank Iero, he/him, 17," I told them, sitting up a little bit. "Um- hi. I'm Gerard Way, he/him, 18," Gerard whispered. Pronouns are he/him, got it. "I like your hair and hoodie by the way," I told him, smiling as I started to eat again, seeing him tilt his head again. "Thanks, your black attire is an interesting pick for a summer camp, makes you stand out," He whispered, holding a small smile as he took a bite of food.

"It's not a bad thing in my opinion," I replied, smiling a little more, but I felt a tap on my shoulder, light but urgent. I sighed and turned around, seeing one of the counselors. "Can I help you?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow as the guy looked down upon me. "I can see you're a fox, please move to your correct table," He demanded, though I wasn't having any of it. I laughed, seeing Gerard's face contort into panic from my peripheral vision as I did. "Sir, I'm just sitting with a friend, is that so bad?" I asked confidently, looking him in the eyes and seeing his tough persona waiver. He was about to say something, but walked away soon after, allowing me to go back to my lunch. I looked up, seeing Gerard's face full of surprise. "What? He was obviously a non-confrontational type, thought I would just listen. I don't like the separation at all, so... Break 'em with confidence," I told him, smiling again before continuing to eat.

I ate my lunch in peace, smiling as I occasionally looked up to see Gerard doing the same. I knew he would be a good friend, even from the start, but even then, I hoped it would last.