Chapter 6

Frank's POV

I put on my jacket, seeing as it was only drizzling and I had only had breakfast, which was done while being soaked. "Geez," I whispered and stepped out of my room. I cringed as I saw a group of kids with a beer funnel, one dude pouring cola into said funnel as the group chanted "Chug, Chug, Chug". I ran out into the barely sprinkling rain, not wanting to see the end of what was going down. I sighed, pulling up my hood, as I was about to walk to the mess hall.

I say about to because I heard a scream from somewhere near the Wolf cabin that caught me off guard. I was a little worried, seeing a counselor and waving at them. "Sir, I think someone just got hurt," I told him, seeing him look around and shrug. "I'm sure it came from a cabin, don't worry," He assured me, but I didn't take that as an answer. It wasn't screams of having fun, or like a scream after being pranked because it was usually followed with a laugh, the scream fell short and was full of fear. I brushed off the counselor as he kept walking, going down the path to the Wolf cabin and going towards where I believe I heard it.

I pulled myself through some thin mud, seeing someone by a creek, but not standing. I panicked and ran towards them, not knowing the word danger from that point as I stood over a familiar person. "Oh my- shit," I whispered, seeing a sizeable bruise forming on the very person I meant to apologize to for staring while they were drawing yesterday. I saw headphones poking out of the pocket, panicking, and grabbing them to put them in my pocket so the camp wouldn't take them away. I checked for a pulse, feeling the slight beating, and sighed in relief as I took off running to get a counselor. I was looking for anyone at this point.

I found a counselor exiting the mess hall, which happened to be the Wolf cabin counselor, or so the patch on his shirt said. "Sir! Please, you have to help. One of the kids slipped by the creek near the Wolf cabin, they're unconscious," I informed him, panting as I wiped the rain from my face. His eyes widened and he took off, speaking into a walkie-talkie to call for backup, my soaked body in tow. I ran ahead of him, letting him follow me as I came up to the kid lying there in the mud. The bruise on their forehead was a bit darker. "Oh sh- itaki mushrooms," I whispered, trying to avoid saying "shit" in front of a counselor. "Good save, kid," He whispered to me, seeing the backup arrive, and sighing in relief as everyone helped put the person on a gurney. "Am I allowed to go with them?" I asked, getting a nod and I immediately ran to catch up.

Arriving at the infirmary, the kid, which I had frustratingly been calling "this person" for a couple of days, was swarmed by people. I sat in a chair once they were done, being informed for some reason that they only had mild damage and didn't have a concussion. "Thanks... Will they be okay?" I asked, to which the nurse nodded. "He just needs sleep and maybe some food," She informed me, though I only nodded back and looked at them.

Fair skin only slightly tainted from the bandage on their head, a peaceful look on their face as they lay there. I couldn't see their eyes, but I could imagine that they were beautiful. I smiled a little and sat back, closing my eyes a little bit because they started to hurt. I rubbed my temples a bit, looking at this nurse who was washing the mud off of their face. "Ma'am, could I possibly get their name? I've been calling them kid," I whispered, seeing her roll her eyes as she chuckled. "You kids, why don't you ask him?" She asked as if it was obvious. "Lovely solution, but I haven't had the chance," I told her, seeing her nod and check the keys that were found in the left pocket. Glad I took out the MP3 and headphones. "The name is Gerard, Wolf cabin," She informed me, putting the key back on the side table.

"Thanks, ma'am," I politely whisper, flashing a smile and seeing her nod, walk away, and whisper something about me being "such a nice young man". I looked to the kid that I now know as Gerard. I smiled at the name, trying it out for myself. "Gerard," I whispered, my Jersey accent rolling the name off the tip of my tongue. I sat there, waiting for them to wake up to apologize, I also kind of wanted to get to know them. I decided to relax, humming a little bit of Misfits as time passed.