𝟎𝟎𝟏.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

001. ❝ did you miss me?
remember everything will be alright

           𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊 struck 5 pm in the Outer Banks, and the island had found itself in its usual peaceful hurly-burly.

I shut my eyes and leaned my head on my arms, enjoying the late afternoon breeze out of the car window. With every breath, my nostrils were filled with the salty sea air that inhabited the island ever since I could remember. As my chest rose and fell and the wind ever so slightly pushed the hair out of my face, my body found itself in a state of pure serenity.

The island's atmosphere had always made me feel serene and whole, releasing all tension from my thoughts; the thoughts that had tricked me into thinking I wouldn't find my way back to the OBX life.

The late afternoon rays shone on my face further spreading a feeling of warmth through my veins.

When the car came to halt, my eyes slowly fluttered open to be met with a familiar house and face. Excitedly I exited the car and approached the woman, immediately pulling her into a hug.

"Hello darling," the sweet voice of my grandmother echoed in my ear, as she stroked the back of my head. "It's good to finally see you again."

And good it was; I'd always considered my grandmother and I to be kindred spirits. My family had always enforced that this was true, turning me into a lonesome traveler from the ages of thirteen to fifteen. I was mostly the only member of my family who'd regularly visit her through my summer breaks and spend the summer's either in the kitchen with her or in the ocean.

When her health got exponentially worse over the course of last year, my parents wanted her to move in with us on the West Coast. She however made very clear she wasn't leaving the Outer Banks, ever.

Understandbly.

As I disengaged from the hug, a smile spread across my face admiring her in her white sun dress and neatly done grey curls, whilst the rest of my family followed suit in greeting her.

"Come on in, I've baked brownies," she smiled at my brother and I. "Your guys' favorite."

"Thanks, Grams," Tyler gave her a kiss on the cheek and sprinted into the house.

"You're the best Nana," I added closely following before his high-ass could eat them all.

As I entered the kitchen Tyler had already halfway eaten a piece and was contently chewing. "Oh my God, I had forgotten how good these actually are."