Chapter 5: Master of Guitar

The heroes were on the run from Mephiles following behind them with two cleansed octarian beasts. Sonic Underground knew they couldn't left Mephiles get Sonic. It wasn't easy to lose him in this dark forest.

"Get us out of here, Shadow!" Silver said worried.

"I'm going." Shadow said accelerating the speed his bike is going.

Making a sharp turn up ahead, the beasts had almost caught up to them. Sonic and Shadow made a jump from a fallen tree. But is wasn't enough to stop Mephiles.

"There will be no escaping me this time, Sonic." Mephiles said.

"He's gaining ground!" Sonia said worried.

"Not for long!" Shadow said activating a defense protocol.

Shadow deployed multiple explosive arrows down on Mephiles and his beasts as they stopped in their tracks, blinded by the smoke. Sonic Underground had managed to stop him for now as they were now entering a toxic swamp area. Mephiles made it out of the smoke as he came to a stop, and his beasts regrouped by his side. He glared knowing Sonic Underground had managed to escape. The heroes were travelling through the swamp as Silver turned his head facing Sonic.

"How close are we to the next shard?" Silver asked.

"I don't know. The signal keeps cutting in and out." Sonic replied.

"We might get a better signal up on that hilltop." Shadow said pointing to a small hill.

The heroes made their way up as Sonic tried to get a better signal. But no luck had hit the heroes just yet.

"I'm still having trouble getting a signal." Sonic said.

"Aw, man. We're never gonna find this shard." Manic said sitting down.

"Look! Someone's stuck in the mud!" Sonia said worried.

Sonic Underground made their way down as they saw an inkling boy and octoling girl stuck in thick mud. The inkling boy wore a red hat, a pale blue jacket two white stripes on the bottom, and one stripe on each sleeve, black wind shorts over black pants, and black shoes with red laces. He has blue eyes, and peach skin. His white hair covers his left eye. The octoling girl's tentacles were pink, she has peach skin with yellow eyes, a purple hoodie with a blue and white button shirt underneath, black fingerless gloves, black shorts, and black combat boots.

"What's going on? Who are you?" The inkling boy said confused.

"We're heroes from another universe. Here to free the music." Silver replied.

"Free? I used to be free, back when this place used to be a crystal clear lake." The inkling boy said. "But when Mephiles built that factory, the water got polluted, the mud got thick, and I've been stuck here ever since. Not that anyone cares, though."

"I've been trying to help him out for about an hour, but it's no use." The octoling girl said.

"Hey. We care. And my friends and I are gonna get you out of here." Shadow said.

"Yeah. We'll help you out... uh, what's your name?" Sonic said not knowing the inkling boy's name.

"Niles. My name is Niles." He replied.

"My name is Desti. To let you know." The octoling girl said.

"Alright, Niles. Let's see if we can get you out of this." Sonia said.

"We are members of the Freedom Fighters after all." Silver said.

"Alright team, let's get to work." Shadow said.