Chapter 10: Ambush on Soleanna

(Date: The day after the battle on Melody Mountain)

In the remains of Soleanna, Gizmo was scanning Mephiles in the stasis pod the Octostrikers used to cryogenically freeze Tartar's octoling body until he could return. Mephiles wanted to run a scan to check if he was hurt from the blast Sonic Underground used to try and destroy him. The scan was complete as Mephiles came out from the pod.

"Well... what's my status, Gizmo?" Mephiles asked.

"Well, the good news is you didn't sustain any damage from the blast." Gizmo replied.

"That's good." Mephiles said.

"But the bad news is... Somehow your powers are slowly fading away." Gizmo explained. "That must've been what the damage was done to you in the blast."

"My powers... are fading away?" Mephiles said in shock.

"And it seems once your powers are gone, you'll soon fade away too." Gizmo finished.

"So the blast must be destroying Mephiles from the inside out." Rogue said.

"Oh, shut up Rogue!" Jinx said slapping him out of stupidity.

"No... he's right." Mephiles said. "I'd have to resort to an extra phase in the plan, or I'd have to kill Sonic as soon as I reencounter him."

"Well, Master... just a suggestion. Haven't you ever tried possessing someone?" Rogue asked. "Maybe if you possess one of the members of Sonic Underground it'd stop them from using their powers to destroy you."

"Hmm... I never thought of that. It might work." Mephiles said. "Rogue, you might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but your idea has given me a way to achieve triumph."

"So, shall we prep the troops for an ambush?" Scourge asked.

"No... we shall wait for them to come to us." Mephiles said. "The heroes won't know if we don't attack."

"So shall we set the troops for training?" Jinx asked.

"Yes. We should let the troops train for a while." Mephiles responded. "Let the heroes think they've won."

"Yes, Master." The Octostrikers said as they took orders and prepped the troops for training.

(One month later...)

Sonic and the others have returned home two weeks after preforming with Deep Cut at their concert. The heroes haven't thought if Mephiles was still around until Blaze spoke.

"Uh... guys? Doesn't everything seem a bit too quiet?" Blaze said.

"What do you mean?" Maria asked.

"It's been a month since Mephiles last attacked you guys." Blaze explained. "What could he be up to."

"Come to think of it. What is he up to?" Sonic said.

"I don't know, Sonic." Tails said. "But I looked through our scanners and there is a lot of cleansed Octarian warriors outside Soleanna."

"Wait a minute. When me and Silver went to check Soleanna for any remains of Solaris, the two of us fought Scourge and Tartar in the lab." Blaze said.

"That must be Mephiles' lair." Sonic said. "If that's their base, then why haven't they attacked us yet?"

"They must be up to something." Shadow said. "I'll call up Sonia and Manic to get over here. Sonic, you tell Silver to get ready. We'll have to make a pit stop once we're all together."

"Got it. I'll be right back, Amy." Sonic said getting up.

"Alright, Sonikku." Amy said.

Sonic went to go tell Silver they're gonna attack on Mephiles' lair.