8. Tyler

Samantha was definitely devastated when she saw the X-ray of her ankle. It did look bad. But we'd already spoken with the doctor in the emergency room who explained what he thought the orthopaedic surgeon would do.

Jenna left to let Josh and Debby go home since they'd been watching Rosie so she could get to bed. I stayed overnight with Samantha at the hospital. She was afraid she wouldn't walk on the ankle again, let alone play basketball. But the surgeon had told us she would probably be fine. In about six months.

The nurse gave her some pain killers or something to help her sleep, so she'd get the rest she needed. Before too long she was slurring her words, so I tucked her in and watched her sleep.

I had an idea and picked up my phone and hit the contact I needed.

"Hello? Hey, Tyler. What's up? Everything okay?"

"Hey Brendon. Everything is mostly okay."

"What does that mean? Is Sam okay?!"

He was worried.

"Well, she will be. But she shattered her ankle at her basketball game this afternoon and we're in the hospital because she's having surgery in the morning. She's going to be okay, but her basketball season is over."

"Oh no! Poor kid! How'd she take the news?"

"Not well. She thought basketball was the only thing we had that maintained our relationship."

"Well that's just crazy. You guys have so much in common."

"Yeah."

"So what's up? You obviously have a method behind your phone call."

"I know you guys were planning to come in on the weekend for Sam's party, which is still happening. I think she needs it now more than ever," I said.

"Yeah. I think so too. And yeah. We're planning on flying in Friday night," Brendon said.

"Is there any chance you can come in early? I know you and Sarah would really cheer her up."

"I'll see what I can do. Give me a bit and I'll text you if I can make some changes and with the details."

"Great. Thanks B," I said.

"No problem. Give her a hug and kiss for us."

"I will. Talk soon," I said and hung up.

I couldn't make her ankle heal faster, but I could try to make the recovery process less depressing for her. She had a really special relationship with Brendon and Sarah, and I know seeing them would cheer her up some.

I didn't sleep great on the bed in Samantha's room, but I was there for her. And that's what I needed.

Jenna came in the morning with Rosie and Josh. Samantha wasn't feeling much better about surgery but she seemed somewhat happy to see Josh.

Just before ten they brought her down for surgery. We walked with her to the elevator and told her we love her and she's going to be okay.

Then we went back to her room and waited for her to come back from surgery.

Rosie kept us somewhat entertained but my mind was wandering down to that operating room and praying that the surgery was successful and her recovery period as easy and fast as possible.

Hours passed and we kept waiting. My phone beeped with a text and I smiled.

"What are you smiling about, Mr. Joseph?" Jenna asked.

"I called Brendon and asked if he and Sarah might be able to come in earlier for Sam. They're flying in tonight," I said.

"Oh, Sam's going to be so thrilled," Jenna smiled. I smiled back. I knew this would cheer her up. It couldn't change what had happened but it would definitely raise her spirits.

The surgeon came into her room about an hour later to tell us the surgery had gone very well and they'd cleaned up the break, and everything looked like it would heal very well. He didn't see any reason Sam wouldn't be able to play basketball next season.

They brought Samantha back a little while later and she was still really sleepy. We were able to get her to open her eyes and tell her everything went well. She nodded and fell back to sleep. They told us she'd probably sleep a lot today from the anaesthetic but that she did really well and woke up without a problem after surgery.

Rosie said she was going to sleep with Samantha and curled up on the bed beside her. Samantha smiled.

A few hours later, Samantha woke up crying a little. I went over to her immediately.

"Hey, what's up?"

"My ankle hurts," She whimpered.

"Okay. I'll call the nurse and get you something for that."

I called for a nurse and she came in and said she'd check to see if Sam could have something. Josh went over and asked how she was. She was groggy and slurring a little but she said her ankle hurt some. Which we already knew.

She asked where we were and Jenna went over and reassured her we were right there.

The nurse came in with a needle and put it in Samantha's IV. She drifted off again. When she woke up again hopefully her surprise would be here.

We sat and talked as Samantha dozed. I felt bad for her. I hated when either of my kids were in pain.

Around six, there was a knock on the door and Brendon and Sarah came in. Seeing Samantha was asleep, they were quiet when they came in to say hi.

"How's she doing?" Brendon asked.

"Surgery went well. They think she'll be able to play basketball next season. She's been sleeping most of the day from the anaesthesia and a pain killer she got a little while ago. She's going to be okay. But she's so disappointed that her season is over," I explained. Brendon nodded.

We all sat and chatted while Josh went and got us all some food from a restaurant nearby.

Around seven, Samantha started stirring. I nodded at Brendon and he and Sarah went to her bedside.

"Hey there, sweet girl," Brendon said, taking her hand as her eyes fluttered open.