64. Samantha

After breakfast I went upstairs and changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. I went back downstairs where Uncle Josh was waiting with my winter coat.

"Let's go for a walk," he said, taking Jim's leash and calling the dog to the front door.

I walked silently just slightly behind Uncle Josh.

He stopped, turned around and waited for me to catch up. He put his arm around my shoulder.

"Sam," he said. Uh oh. We're in for the serious stuff. He used my name.  "I know all of this is hard on all of you. I don't know if it's harder on you because of everything you've been through but I feel like you're doing what you did when Mark was ... well, you were there. Talk to me, kiddo. What's going on in that big brain of yours?"

I looked at him and then up the street. I sighed.

"What if they take us away?  Rosie would never survive the foster system."

"The good news is, if that were to happen, and I'm confident it won't, Debby and I or your grandparents would likely get custody of you first."

"But," I said, not sure where I was going with that. I frowned.

"Sam, I know you're trying to hold it together for Rosie. But have you given yourself a chance to really process everything?  You know it's okay to cry, right?"

I nodded.  And then like a dam bursting, I broke into sobs. Uncle Josh threw his arms around me and hugged me tight while I cried. And cried.

"Why is this happening?" I sobbed. "Why us? Why me?"

"I don't know, my sweet girl. I really don't. And I'm so, so sorry you're all going through this."

"Just when things seem to be going well, something like this happens. The car accident, this, Mark suing Mom and Dad. Why?"

"Sam, I wish I could explain it. I wish it made sense. It doesn't. But look, the social workers are coming over this afternoon to talk with you and Rosie. Just tell the truth and I'm sure it'll all work out."

I frowned. Social workers never made things better. They just messed them up more.

"It is going to be okay. It doesn't feel like it right now, but it is going to be okay," Uncle Josh said.

I shrugged. Who really knew for sure?

We walked a little more, talked a little more, and then I asked if we could head back. My leg was starting to tire out and I hadn't grabbed my crutch. Uncle Josh kept his arm around my shoulders as we walked back to the house.

Rosie came running up to me when we walked inside and I picked her up and hugged her.

"SaSa okay?" She asked.

"I am, little bug. I'm okay," I said to her.

"Me too," she smiled.

Uncle Josh suggested we play some video games to keep us distracted. And Rosie loves watching me play Fortnite. I let her pick my skin for the game.

Aunt Debby made us lunch and we hung around waiting for the social workers.

At two, the doorbell rang. I didn't bother getting up. I just sat on the couch with Rosie. Why give them the satisfaction?

"Sam?" A voice said my name. I looked up.

Mom and Dad were standing in the doorway to the living room.

Mom and Dad? Wait... what?

"Mama!" Rosie cried and pushed away from me and ran to Mom and Dad.

I looked at them and at Uncle Josh. Dad had tears in his eyes. Mom was hugging Rosie and giving her kisses.

Were they here to say goodbye? Did they lose us? I was afraid to ask.

"Sam?" Dad said again, his arms open. "Please?"

"Why are you here? The social workers are supposed to come," I said.

Mom looked at me, tears falling down her face. But she was smiling.

"The doctor dropped the investigation. He finally got your records from Nationwide and he dropped everything," Mom said. "We've come to take you two home."

I looked at Dad, who was smiling but also had tears in his eyes. I got up and ran into Dad's arms. He hugged me so tight, I couldn't breathe. I didn't care. We were going home.

"SaSa! Home!" Rosie said.

"I know!" I cried.

Dad helped me get my luggage and the few things of Rosie's that were here, and we thanked Aunt Debby and Uncle Josh, who hugged us all for what felt like hours.

Dad loaded our stuff into the car and Mom put Rosie in her car seat.

"Home home home!" Rosie sang. I smiled.

Mom and Dad were quiet on the drive home. Only Rosie made any noise, singing about home.

We pulled into the driveway and up to the house. I burst into tears as we approached the house.

As soon as Dad stopped the car, Mom jumped out of the car and opened my door. She undid my seatbelt and pulled me out of the car and into her arms, hugging me tight while I sobbed.

"It's okay," she said. "You're home, baby. You're home."

I held on to Mom and cried harder than I ever remember crying. I felt like it would never stop. Relief washed over me as fear drained.

Dad came over with Rosie and put his arm around us.

"SaSa, why cry?" Rosie asked.

"Samantha's happy to be home," Dad said. I nodded while still bawling into Mom's shoulder. She kept hugging me and rubbing my back, and speaking soothingly. I just held on to her and cried.