54. Tyler

Samantha was due to come home today. I looked over at the pile of presents waiting for her under the tree and smiled.

She'd called us yesterday because they'd gotten home late on Friday from the concert. She had been so happy and animated. She had a tan and looked so happy and healthy. The week had been good for her.

Sam gushed about the concert, hanging out with Pete and Patrick and the guys. She texted a bunch of pictures and her Instagram was filled with photos from her trip and her smiling face. To say she'd enjoyed her trip does not do it justice. Just the one seizure and upset phone call about that and the rest of her trip had been, in a word, perfect.

"Sammy?" Rosie asked as I picked her up from her high chair after breakfast.

"Sammy comes home today!" I said, spinning my little one around.

"Sammy Sammy Sammy!" Rosie cried.

"You two are very happy this morning," Jenna said, coming into the kitchen.

"Sammy, Mama!" Rosie said.

"I know. Sammy's coming home today. You and Dada, and Mama are all very excited for Sammy to come home," Jenna smiled. "Sammy however might not be quite so excited."

Jenna looked out the kitchen window and smirked. We'd had a bit of a storm the other day and there were at least two feet of snow on the ground. I'd pulled Sam's heavy winter coat out of the closet so we wouldn't forget it when we went to pick her up. On top of the snow, the temperature had dropped and it was only about 20°F outside. I shivered thinking how cold it was going to feel for Sam.

I was antsy all morning. While I had none of the worries I'd had when Sam was in England, I wouldn't be truly comfortable until my daughter was back in Ohio and in my arms. It was just the Papa in me, I guess. Since Sam came into our lives, I'm never fully comfortable when she's away or I'm away from her and Jenna. And now Rosie and the new one on the way.

Around noon, the phone rang and I got a pit in my stomach. Had she missed her flight? Had a seizure? Some problem that would prevent her coming home on time.

"Hi Dad!" Samantha's bright and cheery voice came across the line.

"Hello, my darling!" I said. "What's going on? You okay?"

"Of course I am," she said. "I was just wondering..."

"Uh oh," I said, laughing.

"Can we move to California?" I said with her. We both laughed.

"The answer is still no," I said with a smile on my face.

"Meh. I thought you'd say that. What about me? Can I move to California and live with Uncle B and Aunt Sarah?"

"Sure. Why not?" I joked.

"Wait, what?" Sam said.

"Obviously not!" I said, laughing. "You are very much needed here in Ohio. Rosie and I and Mom need you."

"I figured," Sam laughed. "I just called to tell you we're leaving for the airport."

"We can't wait to see you!" I said. "Rosie's been singing your name all morning."

"Can't wait to see you all soon, too!" Sam said. We said goodbye and I counted down the hours until we could leave for the airport to go pick up our daughter.

Time passed slowly. Josh and Debby had gone out to California to both surprise Sam and for Debby. She'd had some work out there for a couple of days. They weren't back yet.

I went down to my studio and played around some. I needed to keep myself distracted.

"Ty?" Jenna called downstairs.

"Yeah?" I called back up.

"Time to go," she called down. I jumped up, shut down a few things and raced up the stairs.

"I don't know who's more excited," Jenna said, wrestling an excited toddler into a snow suit. "You or Rosie."

"Sammy come home?" Rosie asked.

"Sammy's coming home!" I said. Rosie clapped her hands.

We got Rosie into her car seat and left for the airport. It had started snowing again, so I was careful driving to the terminal.

We arrived, parked and went into the terminal. I checked the arrivals board and saw Sam's plane was on time. We waited by the baggage hall where we expected Sam to come out.

I kept checking the board until I saw her flight had landed. Now was the worst part of the wait. Watching people coming out of the baggage hall and not being Samantha.

I watched in anticipation and people filed out of the hall. Still no Samantha. She hadn't flown as an unaccompanied minor this time so there was no reason she would have to wait to get off the plane.

I watched as the rush of passengers turned to a trickle. Still no Sam.

"Where Sammy, Dada?" Rosie asked.

"I don't know," I said, frowning.

Two paramedics rushed past us and into the baggage hall. My heart skipped a beat. Just then, my phone rang. I answered it, worried.

"Is this Tyler Joseph?" The voice asked.

"Yes?" I said. Jenna looked on, concerned.

"Is your daughter Samantha?"

"Yes. Is she okay?"

"She's had a seizure here in the baggage hall. The paramedics are with her right now. Are you close by?"

"We're right near the exit. Can we come in? We need to be with her," I said.

"Wait there. Someone from the airport will come get you."

The person hung up and I looked nervously at Jenna.

"She had a seizure in the baggage hall," I said.

"Oh no. Oh, Sam," Jenna said.

"Sammy sleeping," Rosie said. Last time she'd said that, Sam had been in a coma. I really hoped this wasn't the case now.

Someone in a uniform came out looking for us and escorted us into the baggage hall. There was a small group of people where the paramedics were leaning over a figure on the floor. I rushed over.

Sam was lying on her side on the floor, her eyes closed. I looked carefully and saw she was breathing regularly.

"The parents are here," someone said.

"Sir," a paramedic said. "Are you her parent?"

"I am," I said, kneeling beside Sam.

"Is she known to have seizures?"

"Sometimes. She's had a brain injury and she can sometimes have seizures as a result. Did anyone time it? Do you know how long it was?"

"Someone did time it. They told us it was a minute and thirty four seconds."

"Okay," I said. I looked at Sam's face. She looked okay.

"We do want to take her to the hospital," the paramedic said.

"I understand," I said. "She probably doesn't need it though."

"Well, since we were called, we'd feel better," the paramedic said. I nodded.

"Ty, you go with her," Jenna said.

We saw Sam's lone bag on the carousel. I grabbed it. I'd take it with us in the ambulance.

"We'll follow," Jenna said, taking my car keys.