92. Jenna

"Tyler," I said, coming out of Samantha's bathroom. "It's time."

"For what?" He asked, distracted. I looked at him intently. He finally looked up.

"Oh! Now?"

"No. Next September," I said. I was trying to be quiet because Samantha was asleep. But it wouldn't be fair to leave without letting her know. Tyler shook her shoulder gently.

"Wha?" Samantha said. "I was sleeping."

"We have to go. Mom's in labor. I have to take her to the hospital."

"We're in a hospital," she mumbled. 

"Yes. But we need to go to a hospital with a maternity ward. Uncle Brendon is here. I'll tell him to come back up from stuffing his face in the cafeteria."

"Okay," Samantha mumbled, turning over.

I smiled. She was so out of it.

"Wait!" She said sitting up. "You're having the baby?"

"Yep. And if we don't go soon, I could have it here in your room."

"Go! Go!" Samantha smiled. "Tell the Nugget I can't wait to meet her!"

"You bet," I said, giving her a kiss just before a contraction took hold. Tyler gave her a kiss, too and we left.

I definitely screamed calmly as Tyler drove calmly to the hospital.

A few hours later, our little Junie Belle was born. We sent photos to Samantha who texted back 'she's adorable!!'  Then she made fun of one of our photos. Admittedly, I did look very out of it.

We spent a day in the hospital with Junie. Tyler divided his time between me and Junie and Samantha. He spent the night with Samantha and came back in the morning to bring Junie and I home. Well, to the hospital.

We walked into Samantha's room just after ten. She wasn't there but her nurse had told us she'd gone down to physio. We took that as a good sign. They deemed her healthy enough to get back to physio. Which was another step to coming home.

At 11:15, she was wheeled back into her room, chatting animatedly with Brendon. Sarah was with them.

"Oh my gosh! You're here?!" Sam said, as Brendon helped her into bed. "Lemme see Junie!"

I went over to her and once she was settled in bed, handed her her baby sister.

"Hi, Junie," Samantha smiled down at the baby. "I'm your big sister. Anyone gives you any problems, you come tell me and I'll protect you."

I smiled. Samantha was so sweet with Junie. June looked up at Samantha and yawned.

"Baby yawns are too cute," Samantha grinned. Then she made a funny face. "But baby farts are not. I think she needs a change or something."

Samantha handed Junie to me and I took her to change her diaper.

We sat and visited with Samantha and talked about physio, and Junie and going back to school (she was very nervous) and Junie.

Josh and Debby came in with Rosie at lunch time and brought us all pizza. Samantha looked at her hospital provided meal and over at the pizza.

"Can I have pizza?" She asked.

"Of course, sweetheart," Tyler said. She bolused - her pump had been reattached after the surgery - and happily munched on a piece of pizza.

"Mama!" Rosie said, running to to the room. "Is baby!"

"Rosie, hi!" I said. "This is your baby sister. Her name is Junie."

"Junie play?"

"Not yet, little bug. She's too little to play."

"Is boring. Sammy, we play?"

"You betcha, RosieRo!  You and me have a very important job though," Samantha said, seriously.

"What?" Rosie asked, seriously.

"We have to protect Junie until she's old enough to play with us. It's a very important job because Junie is so little."

"Okay Sammy. I potect," Rosie said. Samantha smiled. Rosie smacked her forehead and sighed.  "I be busy!"

"How so, little bug?" Tyler asked.

"I potect Junie and I be Sammy's nurse! I work hard!"

Everyone laughed.

Tyler made me take Junie and go home to bed. He wanted to stay with Samantha, and sent Brendon home with me. Josh stayed with Tyler and Sarah and Debby came home with us. Josh and Debby had moved back home, now that Sam was doing better and Brendon and Sarah were at the house to help with Rosie.

My first night home with our newborn was bittersweet. I was so, so glad Junie was here and healthy and happy for a newborn. But I couldn't help wish Sam was home, too. It wouldn't be much longer, but I missed the noise of both my older children at home.

Passing Samantha's room on the way to Junie's room made me a little sad, and I sighed. There was a pennant on her wall for her school team. Her basketball shoes were on the floor at the end of her bed, her uniform was draped on the chair in the corner.

I took in everything and wondered whether I should get rid of things they would remind her of what she'd lost for the time being.

Junie started fussing in my arms, so I went into her room, fed her, changed her and put her to bed.

I watched Junie as she slept.

"You might be the thing that reminds Samantha how important she is to our family," I whispered. "She already loves you so much. You may have helped her heal a little more."

I went to my own bed for now. I knew Junie would wake me up before too long, but I was grateful for the sleep I'd get in my own bed.