13. Jenna

Samantha's injury at school had been a big disappointment for her. Tyler's idea to see if Brendon and Sarah could come in early was a brilliant idea. And then her coach asked her to help manage the team and our daughter was ecstatic. It was so great to see her spirits rise and rise again. I loved watching her with her sister and with Brendon and Sarah.

Friday morning when I went in to wake her up she was already awake but lying on her back and just staring up at her ceiling.

"Hey baby," I said, sitting on her bed beside her. "Everything okay?"

She blinked and looked at me.  Then she smiled.

"Yeah," she said. "I was just thinking."

"What about?" I asked, brushing a stray hair away from her eyes.

"Well, it sucks that I blew up my ankle. I thought for sure I was done with basketball for at least the season if not for good. But even though I can't play, I'm still on the team. And not just as like a 'cheerleader', but as a manager.  And I have you and Dad to thank for it."

"What do you mean by that?"

She looked me straight in the eyes.

"With Stanley, I would have never even tried out for basketball. If I'd even lived to go to high school, I definitely wouldn't have been allowed to be in any clubs or on any sports. And I wouldn't have been able to stay on a team if I could because I'd never be well enough to play. But then I wound up in your back yard and long story short, here I am."

She smiled and the smile lit up her blue eyes, making them more brilliant. I smiled back at her and indicated for her to sit up. She did and I wrapped her in a hug.

"Samantha, I know I've told you this before, but there was just something about you that clicked with us that night. We knew you belonged with us. And even though we have dealt with some crazy things, and some very scary things, we are so proud of who you are becoming."

"I love you, Mom," Sam said, hugging me tighter.

"I love you, too, Samantha Joseph," I said, holding her at arm's length and looking in her eyes. I looked over at the picture of her birth mother on her dresser and back at Sam.

"You really do look a lot like your mom," I smiled at her. "And she was really beautiful."

Samantha smiled at me and looked over at the photo.

"Thank goodness. I couldn't handle it if I looked like Stanley," she grimaced.

"Well, beautiful girl, let's get up and moving. You have school and a basketball practice."

She smiled and I moved so she could swing her legs out of bed and grab her crutches.

I left her and went into Rosie's room. 

"Hi Mama!" She said from her change table where Tyler was changing her diaper.

"I didn't hear you get up," I said.

"I overheard you and Sam talking, so I came in here and started getting Rosie up," he smiled.

"You heard that, huh?"

"I did. And my heart swelled. I love that kid so much," he said. I smiled.

I went downstairs to start breakfast for everyone. I was greeted by Brendon making eggs.

"Coffee is ready and eggs are, almost ready,"

"Am I in the right house? I have a teenager with a broken ankle who's in a great mood, a husband that got the toddler up and house guests making breakfast," I smiled as I poured a cup of coffee.

"You are definitely in the right house. You just have a grateful teenager who feels love on a depth she probably hasn't in her life, a husband who adores his children and wife so much he'll do what he can to make things easy when he's able and friends who appreciate being a part of your family and want to help out, too."

"After the past two years, I certainly have learned not to take things for granted.  So thank you for making breakfast," I smiled.

We could hear the thunk-thunk of Samantha's crutches as she made her way downstairs.

"Goddamnit!" She yelled at the bottom.

"Samantha!" I admonished her. "Watch your language!"

"Sorry, Mom," she said grimacing as she came into the kitchen.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I banged my ankle on the bottom step."

"Oooh," I said. "You okay?  Want a pain pill?"

"Can I just take an Advil?  The prescription ones just make me tired and I don't want to miss practice."

"Sure," I said, getting the bottle out of the pantry.

"Good morning, Sunshine!" Brendon sang to her.

"Hi," Sam said. I could tell she was in pretty significant pain.

I helped her over to the table and gave her a glass of juice to take her Advil with.  She sighed as she sat down.

"Stupid stair," she grimaced. "Stupid ankle."

I kissed her on the head and went to get her some breakfast.

Brendon had already put some on a plate and I watched Sam bolus her insulin and handed her her plate.

Brendon sat across from her with his own plate and was chatting.

"So, are your practices closed or can anyone come watch?"

"Anyone can watch," Sam said. "Why anyone would want to is beyond me."

"Well, I thought maybe Sarah and I could come watch."

Samantha's face lit up.

"Yeah! Sure. Come watch. It's not very exciting, but I'd love if you came."

Samantha finished her breakfast happily and then tried to clear her plate but couldn't figure out crutches and carrying a plate.

"Leave it, darlin'," Brendon said. "I got it."

"Thanks uncle B. See you later!"

Sam hobbled off to grab her school bag. I told her I'd drive since Tyler and Rosie were just getting downstairs for breakfast.

I dropped her off out front as always. She grinned at me as she got out of the car.

"Are you going to come to practice, too?" She asked.

"Sure," I said. "Maybe we all will."

Sam smiled.

"See you later, Mom.  Love ya!" She said as she crutched along to meet up with Jill.

"Love you too, Sam!"

She waved at me and went into the school. I drove home smiling to myself. What a kid.