68. Samantha

I had to get out of here. The doctor has to have gone to get a social worker. Why else would he say he'd be right back?

I went towards the bathroom and when I saw Dad couldn't see me from the curtained area, I ran. I'd make my way home. Dad would understand.

But, like an idiot, I'd left my coat with Dad and besides, how weird would it look that I took my coat to the bathroom?

I ran out the emergency room doors and away from the hospital. I hadn't noticed how cold out it was. I gently pulled my long sleeved pyjama top sleeve over my cut arm and crossed my arms across my chest. It was snowing a bit harder out now. My shirt was pretty thin so I kept rubbing my arms trying to stay warm. The freezing was starting to wear off on my arm and the wound was throbbing.

I kept going forward. I was pretty sure I knew which way to go. I kept moving.

The streets weren't looking familiar anymore. I looked around, trying to determine where I'd gone wrong and retraced a few steps.

I looked around and frowned. I was certain I was going the right way. But the snow had me confused. But I was determined. I kept going.

I had no idea how much time had passed and now I was definitely lost. I was in a neighborhood but it wasn't ours. It wasn't my old one, either. And I'd left my phone at home, seeing as I hadn't expected to go out.

I was tired and cold. This was such a stupid idea. I saw a bus stop up ahead and went to sit in the shelter. At least I'd be out of the snow for a bit. The wind had picked up and it was snowing even harder.

I sighed as I curled up on the bench, bringing my knees up to my chest. I was shivering and soaked from the snow melting on me. And I was tired. So, so tired.

I tried to get my bearings and looked at the map on the shelter wall. I'd managed to turn myself completely around. I needed to go in almost the complete opposite direction.

I sighed and looked outside again. It wasn't going to get any better any time soon, so I wrapped my arms around myself again and went out into the driving snow. I walked back towards where I'd gone wrong and adjusted my route. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering. But I persevered. I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.

I kept walking until I was just so exhausted, I needed to rest. I found another bus stop and sat on the bench inside the shelter. I was so exhausted, I curled up on the bench to keep warm. I was tired. I needed to sleep. A short nap. That's all I need. Just a quick nap and then I'll make my way home.