14. Samantha

The day at school felt like it dragged. I just couldn't wait for basketball practice. I smiled to myself thinking about it. At the beginning of the week I thought I was basically off the team. But Coach made sure I still had a role. My teammates kept coming up to me through the day to day say hi or tell me they heard I was helping Coach and they couldn't wait to see me at practice. I can't describe the feeling because I never felt like this before Mom and Dad. I've never felt included or even wanted.

And on top of practice today, Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah were coming to watch.

I found it a bit challenging to concentrate in class, looking forward to practice. I got called out a couple of times by my teachers.

Jill and Blaine and I spent lunch talking about my new role. Jill was technically the team manager and took care of making sure we had water at the bench and stuff. But we'd be working together as I'd also be doing some assistant coaching. I was so excited.

When the bell rang at 2:30, I went as fast as I could to the gym. Bring my klutzy self, I managed to whack my ankle on the gym door.

"Goddamn it!" I cried out again.

Jill was right behind me.

"You okay?"

"I whacked my ankle on the door. It did not feel good," I said through clenched teeth.

"Oooh," Jill said. "Do you need anything?"

"An Advil, but I'll wait. Maybe I'll take something stronger when I get home. At least I'll be able to sleep if I do."

Jill looked sympathetic.

We went into the team's locker room and I was greeted by the team with cheering.

"Great to see you back, Joseph!" Caitlin, my assistant captain, now captain, said, giving me a hug.

The girls finished changing and we all went out into the gym. It was still pretty early, so Mom and Dad and Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah weren't there yet.

The team went onto the court to practice while Coach and I talked at the bench.

"Next week we're playing Northern," Coach said. "What do you think is their weakest point?"

"Their centre has the height advantage, but she doesn't have great court sense. She always takes the tip off and diverts it to her right point guard. Either Caitlin has to take control and divert to her right or we need a strong point guard on the left."

"Okay. Good point," Coach said.

"Also, if Henderson plays, she doesn't pass. We need to stay on her. If Jones plays, she seems like she's afraid of the ball and will pass it as soon as she gets it. Martins needs to be on her like glue. As soon as Jones is given the ball, she's going to pass it, which means Martins can take control and get it back up court."

Coach listened and even took notes. She then called the team over to work on some of the strategies I'd given her.

"Hey! Joseph! Off the court with that busted ankle!" I heard shouted behind me. I knew exactly who it was and turned around, grinning at Uncle Brendon as he came through the doors. He came over and hugged me.

"How's it going?" He asked. I nodded.

"Good. We're working on some plays for next week's game."

"I'll assume you know what that means."

I smiled.

"Yeah. I do."

Coach and I devised a few plays and had the team practice converting the ball from their players to ours.

We'd never had a problem beating Northern before, but we had a few close games last year.

After practice, Uncle Brendon said hi to some of my teammates, who were a little taken aback that I knew him, and that I called him Uncle.

"Joseph, I knew your dad was famous, but you know Brendon Urie, too?!" Caitlin said.

"Yeah. He's like, my honorary uncle.  We stayed with them when I went to California a couple of years ago."

"You stayed in Brendon Urie's house?!"

I laughed.

"I did," I said.

Caitlin shook her head and said something about me being lucky. She clapped me in the shoulder and said she'd see me tomorrow at my party. My whole basketball team was invited.

We went out to the car and Dad and I were talking about strategy and the plays we'd devised while Mom, Aunt Sarah and Uncle Brendon listened.

My busted ankle meant I got to sit in the front, so Mom had to squish with Uncle B and Aunt Sarah in the back. Rosie was at home with Aunt Debby.

At home, I had a snack and talked with Uncle B and Dad while getting some homework done. Rosie kept toddling over and patting my cast.

"SaSa, you foot boo-boo better?" She asked, looking up at me.

"Not yet, Nurse RosieRo," I said. "But my nurse makes it feel a lot better."

Rosie smiled up at me.

"SaSa, up?" She asked, putting up her arms. Uncle Brendon helped pick her up and I sat her in my lap.

"What you do?" She asked.

"Homework," I said.

"No pictures?" She asked, looking at my math book.

"No pictures. Just numbers," I said.

"Is boring," Rosie frowned. I laughed.

She sat in my lap as I worked on my homework.

"Mom?" I said as I finished up my homework and put my books away. "Do you need any help with dinner?"

"No thanks sweetie. We're going to order in Chinese tonight. Thoughts?"

"Yum. Can I get General Tao Chicken?"

"Of course. Spicy?"

"You bet!"

Mom laughed.

"Go hang out with your uncle and aunt. And I think Dad wanted to ask you something," she said.

"Okay," I said.

I helped Rosie get down and then got off the stool and headed into the living room.

"There's my girl!" Dad said. "Come sit. I have a question for you."

I went to the couch and sat down.