20. Tyler

I finally told Sam about 'Formidable'. What it meant, why I wrote it, how it changed while I did. And where I'd intended it to initially be played. I am so glad I never had to play it for her funeral. She'd recovered, was healing, and she was thriving.

Despite the initial dejection from her broken ankle, the fact that her coach had ensured her continued presence on the team and was taking her input seriously, Sam's spirits remained high.

The weekend had turned out perfectly. She'd enjoyed the party, her aunts and uncles had brought gifts that we'd already discussed. I knew Sam was going to be a bundle of energy between now and her school break at Christmas. She was so excited to be spending a week of her holiday in California. Brendon and Sarah had approached us with the idea and I couldn't say no. The. They'd recruited Pete and Josh and planned a week of fun and experiences that kind of made our upcoming weekend away seem pretty lame. But Sam was already getting excited about that, too. The plan was to leave after her basketball game on Friday. It was a two hour drive, so we'd get there pretty much in time for dinner. Jenna and I were both going to the game, but in separate cars. Sam and I would pack everything Thursday night and I'd grab some extra insulin just before leaving for the game. We'd pack the truck and head to the school. That way as soon as it was over, Sam and I would hop into the truck and head out and Jenna could take Rosie home. They'd have a girls weekend, Sam and I would have our basketball weekend.

Sam was talking about the game and our trip all week. I was thrilled she was so excited. This would be a first for us, a Dad and Daughter trip.

Sam had had two more practices throughout the week and was really excited about the game. She was convinced the team would win and would win easily. She had a good head for the game and an amazing recall for how their opponents played. They'd been running plays based on how Sam remembered the two key players.

Friday morning she was practically bouncing with excited energy.

"Sam, eat your breakfast," I said, as I checked over our luggage. We didn't need much. Enough clothes for two days, a couple extra changes just in case, and I gathered some insulin, pump supplies and pen needles to pack in a cool pack later.

"Dad, you're coming to the game, right?  We're leaving right after?" She asked, cutting her waffle. We still stuck to game day traditions.

"We all are. Mom and Rosie are going to come in Mom's car, so we can leave right from the game," I reassured her. For the twentieth time, smiling all the while.

She nodded.

"SaSa?" Rosie asked from her high chair.

"Yeah, Rosie posey?"

"You go bye bye ?" She asked, pointing at our luggage by the door.

"Just for the weekend, Peanut," Sam said through a mouthful of waffle.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, Sam!" Jenna said.

"Sorry Mom," she said, swallowing.

"I go?" Rosie asked.

"No, RosieRo," I said. "Dada and Sam are going. You're going to have Mama all to yourself this weekend."

"I go!" Rosie insisted.

"Rosie, you and I are going to have so much fun," Jenna said. "And we're still going to Sam's game."

"Baketbawl!" Rosie shouted. We all smiled. Rosie loves Sam's games. Her teammates consider her an unofficial mascot.

"You ready to head to school?" I asked Sam as she drank the last of her milk.

"Yep," she said, grabbing her crutches and getting up. I heard a loud 'clunk!'

"Son of a...."

"SAM!" Jenna said.

"Gun. I was going to say son of a gun!" Sam said, wincing.

"Banged the ankle again?" I asked as I watched Sam's face contort in pain. She nodded and stood stock still while she waited for the pain to ease. She drew in a breath and opened her eyes. There were tears threatening just behind them.

"Da-arn it did that hurt," Sam sniffled. She was holding back the tears, I could tell.

"Ready?" I asked, not drawing attention to her pain, because I knew she wouldn't want it.

Sam nodded and I grabbed her school bag while she crutched her way out to my truck.

"The game is at 2:45, Dad. Don't be late," she said.

"You have a two year old sister. We will do our best not to be late, but you know Rosie rules the roost," I smiled.

"See you later, Dad," Sam said as I pulled up to the school.

"See ya, kiddo. Have a good day."

She waved at me as she crutched her way to the front door where Jill and Blaine were waiting. She turned around and waved again. I smiled as I pulled out of the school driveway. We were going to have a great time this weekend, I think.

When I got home, Rosie was kneeling at Samantha's bag and peering in.

"What are you doing, RosieRo?" I asked, picking her up.

"I go!" Rosie said. I spun my baby daughter around and laughed.

"RosieRo, don't you want to spend the whole weekend playing with Mama?" I asked.

"I go wif SaSa and Dada. SaSa need her nurse," she pouted.

"You're right. But this weekend Dada is Sam's nurse. You just have to tell me all the things I need to do to be Sam's nurse, okay?"

"Okay Dada!!"

I cuddled with Rosie on the couch while Jenna put on some laundry and came in to join us.