11. Samantha

Is it weird that I'm excited to go back to school?  Usually after I wind up in the hospital I don't want to go back because I hate being the centre of attention and having people constantly ask how I am and if I'm ok and what happened. But this time is different.

When Mark was suing Mom and Dad and it was all over the news. School was a nightmare. Everyone knew everything

But this time, I'm ready to get back. I want to see if I can still help the team somehow. I'm going to every home game anyway. I'll be the loudest cheering section ever.

I got up and got ready for school and hobbled my way downstairs. Dad was already downstairs and Mom came down while I was eating some toast and sausages. Uncle Brendon and Aunt Sarah were still sleeping.

Rosie was in Mom's arms and looked at me.

"SaSa? You go school?" She asked. "Rosie come wif!"

I smiled and laughed. Man she's a cute kid.

"Rosie, you're too little for high school. Don't you have Mommy and Me with Mama today?"

She looked at Mom who smiled and nodded.

"But I you nurse," she said.

"And you're a great nurse. But Jill will be my nurse today at school, okay? And you can be my nurse when I come home after school, okay?"

"Okay SaSa!"

And that was that.

Dad drove me to school and we talked on the way about nothing in particular. Just stuff, the weekend, making sure I had something in case my foot hurt during the day.

When we got to the school, he helped me out of the car and helped me put my backpack on while I adjusted my crutches. Jill came over to help.

"Have a good day, girls! Sam, I'll pick you up at 2:30!" Dad said as I made my way to the front door. I stopped and waved back at him, a grin on my face. He waved back and drove away.

"How's your foot?" Jill asked.

"Merely a flesh wound," I said in a bad English accent. Dad had made me watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Which was hilarious.

Jill laughed.

"You're so weird," she said. "But seriously."

"It's okay. Still sore, but at least I have a beautiful blue cast to show off," I grinned.

People sort of stares when they saw me crutching my way along the hallways. Blaine and Morgan were at my locker when I got there.

"Hey Sam," Blaine said.  "How're you feeling? How's the ankle?"

"It basically exploded," I said. "I think it's more metal than bone at this point."

"Ouch. How long are you on crutches?"

"At least six weeks. Then the doctor says three to four months of physio," I said, taking books out of my locker for class.

"That means you're out the rest of the season!" Morgan said.

"I told you that!" Jill said.

"I didn't want to believe you," Morgan groaned.

They walked with me to our homeroom and we went to our seats.

"Welcome back, Samantha," our homeroom teacher, Mrs. Lancing said.

"Thanks," I said, sitting down and banging my ankle on the desk. I grimaced.

"You okay?" Jill asked. I nodded.

The rest of the day went pretty much the same. I went to class, at some point managed to bang my ankle, rinse and repeat.

Just before the bell, Coach Smithers poked her head into my math class and asked to see me. I gathered up my stuff and hobbled out of the room.

"The bell's about to ring anyway," she said. "So I'll walk with you to the front. How's the ankle? I heard you're out for the season?"

"Yeah. It kinda looked like it exploded," I said. She grimaced.

"When you landed and screamed, I knew it was bad."

"I did scream. I wasn't sure if I screamed or the whistle blew."

"Sam, you passed out when you landed. You weren't out long. Maybe ten seconds but I can't imagine the pain if you were out."

"I don't remember passing out," I frowned.

"Like I said, it was only about ten seconds. That said, since you can't play, I have a proposition for you," Coach said.

"I'm listening," I said.

"Well, you're a good player and I hate losing you on the court. But you have a good head for the game too. I've seen you alter the plays midstream when it's obvious the play won't work. It's impressive."

I blush. I always worried Coach would get mad that I'd changed up the play.

"So, I was thinking, maybe you could be sort of a team manager/assistant coach? Keeps you on the team and active with the girls. And colleges love players who can play but also coach. If you know what I mean," she said.

The bell rang just then.

"Um, yeah. I'd like that," I said, grinning. "I'd really like that."

"Great," Coach said, smiling at me. "Practice tomorrow at 2:45. See you in the gym."

"Yeah! Sure. Oh, and Coach?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for the game ball," I said.

"That was your teammates' idea," she smiled. "The team loves you, Sam. It's why they made you captain."

I smiled.

"See you tomorrow," she said. I waved good bye and crutched my way out to Dad's car.

"Not that I'm complaining, but why do you have a smile like you just won a Grammy?" Uncle Brendon said, getting out of the front passenger seat so I'd have more room for my leg. Dad was looking at me smiling, too.

I climbed in the car and when Uncle Brendon got in, I told them why I was so happy.

"Coach asked me to be team manager/assistant coach for the rest of the season," I said.

"That's fantastic!" Dad said.

"So I have to be at practice tomorrow," I said. "2:45 to 3:45."

"Okay. Mind if we crash practice? We know the assistant coach," Dad said.

I smiled.

"I'll check with her. Shouldn't be a problem though."