60. Samantha

I opened my eyes and saw people around me.

"Where's Rosie?" I asked, trying to sit up.

"She's fine," Carrie said, coming into my line of vision. "She's at home with Tom."

I leaned back, frustrated. I wouldn't run home without Rosie. My plan hadn't worked. Now I was stuck going back to the foster home. I just hoped Rosie was really okay.

Carrie and I stayed in the hospital for a few more hours before they got my sugar up enough and were comfortable sending me 'home'.

Carrie called a taxi and I sat silently in the back with her as the cab driver drove us back to their house. I stayed slouched in my seat and against the door.

Carrie was going on and on about how I have to take better care of myself, especially for Rosie. She tried to say she was sympathetic to what we were going through, but she had no clue. Because what we were going through we shouldn't be going through.

When we pulled up to the house, Carrie made sure I got out of the car. I rolled my eyes as she walked beside me.

As soon as she opened the door, Rosie came running.

"SaSa!" She cried and put her hands up. I picked her up and went upstairs to our room.

"No sick, SaSa," Rosie said, hugging me.

"I'm sorry, bug," I said, hugging her close to me.

"You okay?" She asked.

"I'm okay," I reassured her.

"No more be sick, okay?" Rosie asked.

"Okay," I said.

We lay on the bed, together. I know I dozed off. I don't know if Rosie did. But I was woken up by knocking on the door and the door opening.

It was Carrie again.

"You two are needed downstairs," she said. I looked at her. I wanted to ask why but I didn't want to speak to her. "Come on. It's okay."

I picked Rosie up who put her head on my shoulder and her thumb in her mouth again.

I followed Carrie down the stairs and into the kitchen. I could hear multiple voices in there and not all of them sounded happy.

I cautiously walked into the kitchen. I could see the social worker at the table, but not who she was speaking to.

"Here they are!" Carrie said brightly. "See? They're fine."

I looked into the kitchen carefully and saw, standing by the stove, Uncle Josh!  I ran over to him and threw my arm around him. He grabbed me and Rosie in a hug.

"Uncle Josh!" I cried. And then started bawling my eyes out. He held me tight as I cried. Aunt Debby was beside him and she took Rosie and held her tight as Rosie started crying, too.

"Shh, shhh. It's okay, I got you," he said to me, rubbing my back.

"Why are you here?" I asked, not daring to hope.

"Well, you two need guardians while your parents are being investigated.  We were out of town, and your grandparents are away. So when we came home last night we got in touch with the social workers and got approved to be your guardians. We're here to take you home."

"To Mama and Dada?" Rosie asked.

"Not quite yet, peanut," Uncle Josh said. "You're going to come stay at my house for a couple of days. You can play with Jim."

I gathered our belongings, my bag, Rosie's clothes, and met Uncle Josh at the front door.

"Thank you," Uncle Josh said to Carrie and Tom. "I'm sorry if they were any trouble."

"They were fine," Carrie said. "Nothing unexpected from such a sudden turn of events."

I pulled anxiously on Uncle Josh's sleeve. I wanted to get out of there.

We got into their car and drove away. I started crying again. This time from relief. 

Aunt Debby kept turning around and putting her hand on my knee.  She didn't say anything, she just kept reassuring me with her hand on my knee.

We got to their house and they brought us inside. I sat down on the sofa, spent, confused and not a little scared.

"Okay," Uncle Josh said, sitting on the coffee table in front of me. Rosie climbed up on to the sofa and into my lap. "So, from what I've heard from your mom and dad and the social worker, the doctor was concerned about your past injuries."

I nodded.

"So they took you and Rosie to investigate your parents. Which is dumb because there aren't two nicer people in the world," Uncle Josh frowned.  "You were only in that foster home until someone could be contacted either from the family or a trusted guardian. That's us."

I smiled wanly. I'd rather be here than in a foster home. And if push had come to shove, I'd rather be at the foster home if Uncle Josh could have only taken one of us. I would have sent Rosie with them.

"Until the investigation is finished, you can't go home but your mom and dad can come here to visit with the social worker. They're allowed supervised visits. We were able to arrange one for today. They'll come before dinner."

"Mama and Dada come?" Rosie asked.

"For a little bit. To visit."

Uncle Josh showed us where we'd sleep, but I knew Rosie would sleep with me. Even with Uncle Josh and Aunt Debby, I knew she'd want to be with me. Being taken away from Mom and Dad would have been traumatic for her.

Jim followed me around like he had the time I'd stayed here during the trial when my birth mom's brother tried to sue Mom and Dad for custody.

We sat around watching some TV, and Aunt Debby made sure I had a snack.

At four, the doorbell rang. Uncle Josh got up to answer it and Mom and Dad came into the living room. I grabbed Rosie and ran to them. Mom grabbed Rosie from me while Dad wrapped me in the tightest hug ever. We were all crying all over each other.