58. Tyler

It was the same around the house now as when Samantha had been kidnapped by Stanley. Scratch that. It was worse. Because Rosie was gone, too.

After the police pulled us away from the girls, and questioned us, extensively, they let us go home. Jenna went straight upstairs and I heard her let out a sob as she passed the girls' rooms. I went to my office and called Greyson's office to leave a message. It was Sunday, so I didn't expect anyone would answer. I did state that it was very important he call back as soon as he got the message.

Then I went upstairs and into our room where Jenna was laying on the bed, curled up, her arms around her stomach, tears rolling out of her eyes onto her pillow. I lay down beside her and wrapped my arms around her.

"Rosie looked so lost," Jenna sniffled.

"She has Samantha.  Samantha will keep her safe," I said.

"I know. I hope they're together. Tyler, how did we get to this?  How did this happen?"

"I don't know. It's not fair. We've fought so hard for Sam. I don't know what that doctor is thinking. Everything was explained. We've done nothing wrong."

"Sam looked so, I don't know. Stoic. Unsurprised," Jenna said.

"Sam looked pissed," I said. "I pity whatever foster parent they wind up with. Sam is stubborn and we know Sam can hold a grudge."

Jenna laughed just a bit.

My phone pinged with a text. It was Josh.

'Sam get home okay?' He asked.

I called him back.

"Ty? What's wrong?  What happened?" Josh asked as he picked up the phone.

"Sam had a seizure at the airport," I said.

"Oh no!  Is she okay?"

"Well, from the seizure, she's fine. She woke up when we got to the hospital."

"Okay. So what then?  You wouldn't have called just to tell me she got home okay even though she had a seizure."

"The doctor at the hospital took images and saw healed fractures on her skull. So he did other imaging and found the healed broken leg, and the ribs. And the healed broken arm from when she fell off the bridge."

"Oh," Josh said. "What did he do?"

"He called social services. They took the girls."

"Wait, what?!" Josh asked incredulously.

Tears started coming.

"They took the girls. They're in a foster home tonight. I don't know what's going to happen. The doctor is insisting on having us investigated."

"Ty! That's ridiculous!  You two are awesome parents. You'd never hurt a fly!"

"I know! But it didn't matter. They took them anyway."

"Where are they?  Are they together?" Josh asked. I heard a zipper.

"I don't know.  They won't tell us anything."

"I'm coming home.  Debby's done here. We were going to stay over a few more days to visit people but we're getting a flight out tonight. Debby's already looking into it. We're coming, Ty. We'll figure this out."

"Thanks, Josh," I said.

"Stay frosty," he said. "We'll get this all figured out."

We hung up and I hugged my wife again.  We stayed that way, just laying together, both of us processing our own sorrow. They took our girls. How could they?

I must have dozed off because I woke up to my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said, not recognizing the number.

"Good evening," the voice said. "Is this Mr. Tyler Joseph?"

"Yes, it is," I said.

"My name is Jane Simpson. I believe we may have met at Nationwide Children's a few years ago."

"Oh. Yeah. I remember you. We met you when Samantha wound up in our back yard."

"Right," Jane said. There was a smile in her voice. She was one of the good ones.

"What can I do for you?" I asked. Jenna was sitting up beside me, listening.

"Your file was referred to me on an emergency need basis. What happened?  I'm not understanding why you've been referred back to social services, or why, from what I'm reading, both your girls have been taken into care?"

"Samantha was away for a week in California visiting friends of ours. When she came home, she had a seizure in the baggage hall at the airport. The paramedics took her to the hospital and the doctor who saw her saw some of the healed fractures from the past few years. Apparently he thought we did it to her and they took both girls away.  We don't even know if they're together."

"This is really odd. I'm not understanding why the doctor called us. I'm assuming you explained what Samantha's been through."

"Obviously," I said.  "But it didn't matter. Jane, please, can you tell me if the girls are together?  You don't have to tell me where. Just if you can, can you find out if they're together?"

"I will. Because you've come across my caseload, I'm going to come to you tomorrow to start the investigation.  Will 9 am work for you?"

"Of course. You could tell us you were coming in an hour and we'd be ready. We just want the girls home. Sam hasn't even been home to open her Christmas presents," I said.

"Okay. I'm going to see if I can find out if the girls are at least together for you. I'll call you as soon as I find out. Otherwise I will see you tomorrow at nine."

"Okay. Thanks, Jane."

"I know you and your wife well enough. I feel like this is probably a huge misunderstanding or someone is being overly cautious. Either way, I expect we will have your girls home sooner than later."

"Thanks Jane," I said again. 

We hung up and I looked at Jenna. She was looking at me expectantly.

"Jane Simpson, from the hospital, got Sam and Rosie's file. She's coming tomorrow to start the investigation."

"I like her," Jenna said. "She was great with Sam back when she was still our foster."

My phone rang again. It was Jane again. I answered.

"Hi Mr. Joseph," she said.

"Tyler, please," I said.

"Tyler, okay. I can confirm that the girls are in a foster home together. They're okay."

"Thanks, Jane. See you tomorrow," I said and hung up.

"They're together," I told Jenna.

"Thank god for that," Jenna said.