Chapter 48: Forget Me and I'll Forget You

He was standing right in front of you, right before your eyes. The man whom you thought you'd never see again your my life. The man who you always look up to. He was right there. Waiting for you with a soft smile.

"OTO-SAN!!"

You ran up to him, not caring about the wounds in your body. Seeing your father alive and in front of you made all your open wounds disappear.

Toichi stumbled back as you wrapped your arms around his body, burying your face into his chest. Toichi smiled at you as he hugged you back with his one on top of your head, caressing your hair.

"I MISSED YOU, OTO-SAN!" You sobbed loudly, not able to hear yourself anymore.

"I missed you too, little swan."

Kaito came running but came to halt when he saw you hugging the man who everyone thought that died. Kaito's eyes widened and his breath hitched seeing the man hugging his little sister.

"Oto-san..." He whispered feeling his chest tightened.

Chikage, Shiho, and Shinichi came running, out of breath from the sudden run of yours. Chikage looked up to see Toichi hugging you and Kaito taking small steps towards him.

Her eyes widened a bit but then smiled seeing her two kids finally reunite with their father.

"H-how..." Shiho whispered in shock.

Chikage smiled and placed a hand on top of her shoulder. "He was always here...protecting his kids from a distance.."

Your tears wouldn't stop falling from your eyes. You wanted to ask so many questions but you didn't want Toichi to leave you again. You tightened your hug at the thought of him leaving.

It felt as if you would back away, Toichi would disappear from your grasp. You didn't want it to happen again. For years you've been wanting to see him and it finally happened, but you want it to last longer.

"I won't leave...not anymore." He said, holding back the tears in his eyes.

Toichi looked up at Kaito, who was still a few feet away from them. He let go of caressing your head and extended his arm, signaling for Kaito to go.

Kaito didn't hesitate and went straight for his father's warmth. Toichi held both of his kids in his arms, listening to you cry and sob.

"You did well, Kaito. I'm proud of you."

Those words struck Kaito's heart like a train. He was always being complemented and praised by anyone around him but it never satisfied him.

Now that his father praised him, he felt pleased and delighted. He smiled and covered his face with his hands, tiny sobs escaping his lips.

He never knew such small praise would create a big impact on him. Was it because it was his father who did? He made his father proud and it made him feel pure happiness.

You three stayed like that for what seemed like forever. Shinichi smiled seeing you see your father again. That was your only wish you prayed for day and night.

Though it was supposed to be a happy situation, he couldn't help but to feel like something bigger was coming. A feeling of..losing you forever.

__

The sudden appearance of Kuroba Toichi spread like a a wildfire on the news. Reporters came to the hospital to ask questions and police were suspicious on Toichi which even led to him get a blood test.

He has explained to the both of you that he was able to free himself from the chains in that rollercoaster. Before the fire spread throughout the audience, he said he could smell the scent of strong gasoline mixed with toxic chemicals.