Reassurance (Crosshair and OC)

TW  — sad boi hours, mention of ab/se 

Chaya is having doubts about her worth as a batcher. Crosshair finds her and comforts her. 

—————

Chaya leaned back in the pilot's seat, watching the stars streak past as the Marauder navigated the system by autopilot. Knees hugged to her chest and arms crossed, her light eyes flickered. How many more nights until this wouldn't be an issue? How long would it be before she could sleep restfully?

Tech had warned her that that day may never come. At first, she was spiteful and planned to prove him wrong. But now?  She was tired of trying. Tired of being tired all the time. She was done hoping that her mind would heal.

She instead took Tech's place so he might get some much needed rest. He suffered from severe insomnia as well, so she doubted he was sleeping either. She almost had to stun him to get him to lie down. It may have been more beneficial for all involved that way.

The corners of her mouth turned up slightly at the thought of dragging Tech's reluctant butt out of the pilot's seat kicking and whining like a child. Wrecker carrying him over his shoulder. Omega giggling while Hunter and Crosshair watched with sly grins gracing their lips. Echo, for once, allowing himself a smile.

Chaya wasn't sure where she fit in all of this. Not the pranking or the teasing, but in their essence. She considered herself the least important member of their little family. Sure, she helped them along in their healing process upon injury or illness, but they could teach themselves that. As Tarkin had said during the evaluation of their squad: Chaya was the least enhanced and therefore, least important member of Clone Force 99. All of her abilities were learned, but she didn't have any impressive memorization skills like Tech, who could probably know more about her job than she did if he applied himself.

She was useless.

She pulled her legs up tighter to her chest. None of them would understand her issue. They were all powerful in their own ways, but she was just... Chaya. She'd never compare to them. If she wasn't important, why did they need her?

It was simple. They didn't. And they never would.

But hadn't she proven herself useful when Wrecker lost his eye? And the times that they had received blaster burns. What about when Hunter had been shot in the chest? If she hadn't been there, their leader would have died.

None of it mattered. They would have found a way. Was it not Chaya who got those two separated from their group anyway? Really, if it hadn't been for Chaya, Omega wouldn't have been taken by Bane, and Hunter wouldn't have been shot.

Maybe it would be better if she wasn't with them. Would they care? Maybe presently, but what about years in the future? Would they remember her?

"You okay?"

Chaya started, wrapping into a tighter ball. She peeked over her shoulder through clouded vision at the lanky man who seated himself in the other chair. He'd normally put his feet up on the console and shove a toothpick between his teeth, just to spite Tech. But tonight, he leaned forward, elbows on his knees, peering into her eyes.

She buried her face, suddenly ashamed, thankful that he couldn't read her thoughts. She tried to dry her eyes on her sleeves inconspicuously. After that long silence, she was forced to answer Crosshair's impossible question.

"Yeah,"

"Chaya," his voice was soft, "I don't mean to intrude, but you don't seem okay."

She sighed, "I will be,"