Chapter 21

To become a mother doesn't always mean one had given birth to a baby, sometimes taking care of someone's child can also mean being a mother. Even after a few hours had passed, those words still linger in Kenma's mind. Because he thought how true that statement was.

He had pondered it himself before, what does it mean to be a parent. He had arrived at the same conclusion as well. And to think he would hear someone voice it out, when Kenma thought he couldn't have liked you more, he had to hear that statement coming from you. The words he had concluded way before.

When morning came, Kenma's mother left. Suki loves her grandmother and before whenever she would leave after visiting over, the girl would cry for hours and Kenma had given up trying to console her and just let her cry until she's exhausted enough that she'd fallen asleep. But now, as her grandmother left, Suki didn't cry.

"What's up with you?" Kenma asked, arms folded across his chest as he look at Suki. "You aren't crying."

"Daddy, why would I cry?" Suki imitated the way Kenma's arms are folded but instead of looking intimidating she just looks adorable, especially when her hair is styled in those pigtails. "Suki is a big girl now."

"Ah, I see," Kenma muttered, nodding his head. "If my memory serves right, I think you just cried a few days ago when I couldn't come with you to the family date."

"Daddy!" Suki unfolded her arms and pushed Kenma who's sitting on the couch back. It's not like she can push Kenma back that easily but Kenma just went along with it and his back hit the couch before the little girl started to hit his chest. "Daddy's so petty. So mean."

"Now you're hitting your dad," Kenma said but he sounded so nonchalant as he stare deadpanned at the ceiling. "Stop it Suki. You're hurting me. It hurts."

"Petty daddies deserve to be hit."

"Then do unappreciative daughters deserve to be hit too?"

"No," you suddenly said and Kenma was surprised to hear you as he lifted his head and looked at you. "Why would you hit Suki-chan?"

"Mommy!" Suki climbed down and run up to you as Kenma sat up.

"No, can't you see she was the one who was hitting me?"

"Mommy, daddy's so mean. He keeps teasing Suki because I cried."

Kenma watched as you bent down to get to the little girl's eye level and held her face, caressing her soft cheeks.

"It's alright to cry," you said.

"But Suki is a big girl now and big girls don't cry."

"No," you shook your head. "Big girls cry too. Mommy sometimes cries too."