Life And Death

"Hello young lady, what are you doing here?" The short white-haired man asks me as he comes into my moms lab.

"Um...just waiting on my mom to come back." I tell him.

"Oh!" He nods. "Shall I page her for you?" He questions as he grabs his phone from his pocket.

"No." I shake my head. "I'm supposed to be up on the ninth floor." I say and he nods in understanding.

"Hiding out?" He questions with a smile.

"I guess you can say that." I nod and return a smile as he walks closer to me. I read his name tag. Dr. Johnson. "Do you work with my mother?" I ask him when he starts towards the door to my left.

"More like...for your mother." He corrects me.

"Oh." I nod.

"Have you seen my grand-daughter Rebecca around here anywhere?" He asks me looking around.

"Oh, I didn't know she was..." I trail off, not sure what I was going to say. "Yeah." I nod and say instead. "She just left with my mom a little while ago, they should be coming back soon."

"Thank you..." He pauses and waits for me to tell him my name.

"Ashley." I say.

"Thank you, Ashley." He smiles warmly at me before leaving the lab. I spin around in the swivel chair and mumble out a 'you're welcome' as the man leaves.

"Ashley." A voice calls to me. I stop spinning to see its my dad. Great, I've been caught.

"Can I be done for the day dad?" I ask him pouting. I'm really tired and I just want to go home.

"We're almost done actually, Dr. Redford would just like to speak with you for a moment about the test they ran on your blood." He says and I give him a confused look.

"What for?" I ask getting up from the chair.

"Well it seems as though your blood is rarer than just being AB negative."

"What do you mean?" I ask as we walk out towards the elevators.

"Well, I'm not entirely sure how to explain it so why don't I just let Dr. Redford tell you." He looks down at me and smiles.

"Okay." I nod as the elevator dings and we get on to head up to the ninth floor.

"Dr. Johnson!... Dr. Johnson!" Carmen continues to shout at him. He just keeps repeating over and over that he didn't know. "Ashley, I need you to calm him down so he can take your blood." Carmen tells me, I give her one firm nod and walk over to Dr. Johnson who has been pacing in circles.

"Dr. Johnson, I need you to calm down. We need your help to fix our friend-"

"I didn't know!" He shouts, cutting me off. "I thought he was dead." He adds with wide eyes, looking back and forth between me and Tim.

"I know." I nod. "And we're not blaming you. We just need you to calm down and help us now. Can you do that?" I ask him in a calm voice. He settles down and nods. "Okay good. I need you to draw some blood from me, I need to go get my bag from down the hall first. Can you sit here for a moment until I get back?" He nods. "I'll be back in a sec." I turn to Carmen and say just as everyone rushes into the room.

"Oh my God, Tim no!" Jo shouts, running over to her husband. I can only imagine the things she's feeling right now.

"Jo I need you to step back." Carmen says as her and Francisco try to pull Jo away from Tim. "I'm gonna take care of him but I need you to keep calm and let me work." She tells Jo but it's no use, Jo is crying hysterically trying to hold on to Tim while her son tries to pull her back.