New Secrets

"How's that going over there?" I turn and ask Eric as he boils something on the burner. We've finally started working on the cure. We all have our little parts of this process, we figured we'd get way more done this way.

"Yeah, almost." He nods before turning back to what he was doing. "When'd you know." He stops, turning back to me and asking.

Huh?

"Know what?" I question him.

I swear if this is a question about my sexuality, Eric and I are gonna have serious problems.

"That you were the cure, that you held the key to fixing all this?" He asks with genuine curiosity.

"Uh...only recently actually." I reply honestly.

"Must have been a pretty hard pill to swallow." He says softly, turning back to the burner. "I don't think I would have been able to handle that." He shakes his head.

"It's not so hard to take when you have this preconceived notion that you're the reason all this is happening anyways." I shrug.

He turns to face me, "You can't think that's true." He says shaking his head. I just shrug again. "This isn't your fault, Ashley. It's the government's fault, they did this. They decided that our capabilities as humans wasn't enough, they were the ones that tested serums on all these innocent people. They are the animals and they are the ones that caused all this, not you." He shakes his head. He's right, this isn't my fault, and I know that deep down, but I can't help but feel like...wait...how does he know...

"How do you know how this all got started? What the serum was for?" I question him with narrow eyes.

"I saw it on the news." He shrugs and turns back to what he was doing.

"No." I shake my head. "The news never talked about the serum, everyone was under the impression that Trinity Flares started the outbreak."

"I must have heard it somewhere, how else would I know?" He turns back to me with a raised brow. That's a very good question, how would he know? "I'm gonna finish this." He thumbs towards the burner and turns back to it. I get up from my seat and walk out of the lab, down the hall to where Spencer is.

"Hey." She smiles.

"Hey." I return the smile, as I bend down to kiss her lips.

"Mmm." She moans into the kiss.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask, sitting down next to her.

"If this is about us getting back together, I already told you last night Ashley that I-"

"No." I shake my head and smile. "This isn't about us Spencer."

"Oh." She smiles. "Then ask away."

"When the outbreak started and the news was the only way of hearing about anything, did any of the news stations ever talk about the outbreak getting started any other way than Trinity Flares?" I question.

"Not that I know of." She shakes her head. "And Glen and I were always glued to the TV."

"That's what I thought."

"Why? What happened?" She asks and I shake my head.

"Nothing." I lie. I don't want to get her worried about something that could be nothing.

"Okay." She shrugs and purses her lips. "Can I ask you something now?" She asks as her tongue snakes across her lips. I suppress a moan.

"Mhm." I nod, not really trusting my voice right now.