Chapter 8

J.L

Janelle couldn't make it to our lunch date yesterday.
Not particularly surprising, she is the head of one of the largest social media companies in LA. She is a busy woman.

I remember that was one of the things that attracted me to her from the beginning; her ambition. Yes, she is a trust fund baby, fashion icon and socialite, but Janelle Montgomery is also an incredibly hard worker. Her father may have funded the project, but it is her blood, sweat and tears that built this company.
It is great because she also understood when I was busy and had to cancel or postpone at the last minute. Things with us were always just so easy back then.

How did we get to this point?

I still admire and respect Janelle. Like I said, she is a great girl. She is kind, sweet, tough, opinionated, ambitious, confident, adventurous and accomodating.

She doesn't deserve a guy who thinks about another woman while inside of her.

Which is why I am here.

I get out of my car and head to the private elevator in the underground parking lot. Entering the code, I press for the top floor.

I receive a text from Basimah which is basically her needing space from mom. I send her a "suck it up" text before texting Romeo to save his wife.
Mom has only been there a few days and has been smothering her like crazy. How are they going to survive living together after the baby is born?

The elevator doors open and I walk over to Janelle's weekday personal assistant, Cindy, "Is she busy?"

"No, you can go in." The perky redhead nods at me with a slight blush.

I open the doors and see Janelle working at her desk. She looks every bit the part of 'socialite, business woman and fashion icon Janelle Montgomery'.

"J.L." she smiles up at me surprised and my heart cracks. Her expression turns somber as she takes me in. I take a seat across from her and really take her in.

We haven't really seen each other this week. It happens. I was working late Monday and Tuesday, and she was out of town Tuesday and Wednesday. She cancelled our lunch date yesterday because of an urgent meeting with a client and I had a board meeting that ran late last night. It is what it is.

But I knew I had to do this today.
What does it say about the relationship when you are happier when you don't see them?

Now, I feel guilty.

"Janelle, I am breaking up with you." I decide to rip the band aid off and watch the confusion sweep across her face.

"You and I have just been growing apart for a long time." I totally forgot everything else I meant to say.

"Don't do this to me." She whimpers with tears swelling in her bright blue eyes. I hate this. I hate hurting Janelle. She is truly a great girl and has done nothing to deserve this.

"But I have to. I have to. Because you are one in a million Janelle Montgomery. And you deserve a man that will love you absolutely and worship you like you deserve." I tell her.

"Why can't that be you?" The crack in her voice makes me teary eyed.

"I wanted it to be. God, did I want it to be. I even thought it could be." She starts crying now and I have to restrain from holding her. That would just be sending mixed signals. Right?

"Do not get me wrong, Janelle, I was in love with you. You will always be my first love. And I love you. I'm just not in love with you anymore."

Before I know it she is kissing me and trying to remove my shirt.
How did she get up and around her table so fast?
"Janelle?" I ask shocked as I disengage.