Chapter 15

Zuri

"You're p-pregnant?" Mya is the one who asks after an very tense silence.

My mouth feels like I've been chewing cotton balls for the whole day so I just nod.

They're all just looking at me.

Shit. This is exactly what I didn't want.

"We're so happy for you, baby." Mom breaks the silence and gives me a hug.

The rest follow muttering half-hearted congratulations, but they are all obviously only being polite.

"I didn't even know you were seeing anybody." Iris comments.

"Yeah, who is he?" Xav does not bother hiding his angry tone.

"I'm not. Seeing someone." Oh God, this is just a mess. Why did I ever think this would be a good idea?

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it takes two to make a baby." Mya quips.

In my case three.

"It was a one night stand. I don't even know his name." I admit sheepishly. This is the part that is really not going to go down well.

"Jesus, Zuri." Xav runs his palm over his face.

"Damn girl. What contraceptive are you on that failed so bad?" Mya asks.

"It doesn't matter. Always use a condom if it's a stranger. You know this, Ree." Iris looks so disappointed as she says this.

"How about no fucking random strangers? How about that?" Xav adds his two cents.

"She did use a condom. And was on the pill." Lynn speaks up on my behalf.

"What kind of crazy ass super-sperm were you dealing with?" Mya looks horrified.

"That's what I said."
I swear Lynn and Mya are the same person.

"How did I have to have unprotected sex non stop for years to have a kid and you get pregnant off a one night stand while on the pill and using a condom?" Iris asks with a smile tugging at her lips.

"Gross" Xav comments.

"Did the condom pop? Did he not squeeze the tip?" I know Mya is collecting hints for what not to do. I don't blame her.

"No. We did everything right."

"Everything right would have been not fucking a stranger."

"Xavier." Mom's tone is reprimanding, but that doesn't stop him.

"What? Mom, she's twenty-five?"

"And I was twenty-two when I had you."

"Yeah, but you had dad. Who does she have?"

"A big family. And some awesome friends." Lynn answers him.

"Having a kid is a huge responsibility, and she has already proved herself irresponsible by getting herself in this mess." Xavier responds raising his voice.

I hate that that makes me tear up.

"You don't get to decide that." Lynn bites back.

"Xavier, stop it." Mom instructs him.

I cannot even look up.
Of all the outcomes, I didn't think telling them would lead to fighting.

And daddy has been so silent throughout this.

I sniffle while fighting back tears as my throat clogs up.
I didn't want any of this.

"Hey, Ree-ree. I didn't mean anything bad. I just- this whole thing just took me by surprise."
Great. Now he's feeling sorry gor me.