Chapter 10

"Good morning, Miss Coleman." Dr. Bethuel smiles walking into the patient room.

"Good morning." I manage to force a smile.

"Your test results are back, and you are definitely pregnant. Just about six weeks along." Her cheery voice grates on my nerves.

Does she not understand how devastating that news is. How can she give me such life-changing news with a chipper smile on her face? Do I look like someone who is ready to be a mother? Hell, she's the one who prescribes my birth control, she should know that I don't fucking want this.

"Miss Coleman?"

A baby. Inside me.

Me. A mother.

Shit! This wasn't the plan. This is so far off from the plan. I was supposed to have my first baby with the love of my life in my thirties. At that point, I would have established myself in the industry and have a supportive partner.

That was the goal. That was how it was supposed to go.

"Deep breaths, Miss Coleman."

I'm alone. I'm all alone. How am I supposed to take care of a child all alone?

My lungs are struggling for oxygen as my head begins to throb.

"Miss Coleman, breathe!"

Don't you think I'm trying!

Oh, God. Am I going to die?

Please, no. I don't want to die. I can't die yet. There's still so much I wanted to do. And my baby! What about my poor baby?

"It's alright, Miss Coleman. Everything's going to be alright, just breathe."

Dr. Bethuel's voice is the last thing I hear before the darkness takes over.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

God, I hate hangovers! My head is fucking killing me.

"Miss Coleman." Who the fuck? I try to open my eyes only to find that I am not in my room.

Where am I?

"You're awake. I'll call the doctor." A blonde girl beside my bed says.

Doctor? Shit, am I in a hospital?

That's when it all comes back to me. The pregnancy scare. I took five pregnancy tests and they all came back positive so I booked an appointment with my OB/GYN. I got my test results today, I'm pregnant.

"Miss Coleman!" Dr. Bethuel's normally soft voice sounds like a shriek.

"You gave us all quite a scare. How are you feeling?"

Shit. I feel like shit.

"I'm fine."

"Do you remember what happened?" She asks sitting beside my bed.

Wait, bed? I'm in a hospital room. How did I not feel the IV drip connected to my arm?

"Miss Coleman?"

Right. She asked me a question. But for some reason, the words just won't come out of my mouth.
Instead, I nod.

"I know this must be a surprise."

You think?

"But there are other alternatives."

"Alternatives?"

She hands me a brochure and I now understand what she meant.

"This is a big decision. Please, take your time and think about it. The nurse will stop by with your discharge papers."