Chapter 7

J.L

"Hey, fucker."

I smile as my eyes connect with familiar blue ones.

Walking my way over to him, I cannot help but smile at this idiot I call a friend.

"Can't even control that sailor's mouth in public." I jokingly chide as he rises to greet me.

"Shut up." Comes his standard reply.
I take a seat across from him and a waitress comes to take our order.

"Sorry, I had to dip early at your birthday."

"No problem. I'm surprised you stayed so long." There is no way that is how he wanted to spend one of his few free nights.

"Your cousin's a dick."

I grin at his signature bluntness.
"He's just young." I defend. We were all idiots when we were younger.

"How many times do I gotta tell you? Something's just not right with that little shit."

I roll my eyes.

I love him, but Silas can be such a judgemental ass.
Yes, Ahmed is a little spoiled and way too reckless, but he isn't as bad as Silas makes him out to be.

"Enough about that, how have you been?" I ask noting the dark circles around his eyes.

"Same old, same old." The waitress returns with their beers and Silas drinks half of his in one gulp.

"You sure? You look rougher than usual. And that's saying something." I don't mean to push, but something is very clearly bothering him.

"Shit at work has just been insane. Our head of trauma quit and they hadn't found anyone to replace him, so I've been working overtime." He explains before taking another sip of his drink.

"That can't be legal."

"I get eight hours off between every double shift."

"No wonder you look so ragged." That sounds beyond exhausting.

"I look better than you."

"You wish." Not when he has so clearly been burning both ends of the candle.
"They finally find someone?" I question taking a sip of my drink.

"Yeah. She's starting tomorrow. Which means I get an entire day off while Dieda shows her around."

"And let me guess, you're looking to get laid tonight?"
His grin is all the answer I need.

"Is that why you invited me out? To be your wingman?" I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping for a chilled night with a friend after a.

"Yeah, right. You're the worst wingman in history."

"I am not."

"You are. I'd be better off with Rhaegon." I laugh imagining trying to pick anyone up with Luke's huge dog.

"How're you? How's the new job?" He asks next.

"Different. I think I got used to working for a smaller company. Things feel gargantuan here." I sigh remembering all of the late nights I have been putting in at work recently.

"I wouldn't call Blingsley's a small company. You're probably still adjusting."

"I hope so." I've been feeling like I'm drowning the past two months. James has been a literal lifeaver.

"How's Janelle?"

"Great. As usual." Janelle is always great.

"What does that mean?"