Chapter 12

Ree

Twelve week scan and my little jelly bean is looking good. I even got to hear their little heart.

Weird to think that there is another person's heart growing inside me.

Lynn's on a call while I am signing out at the nurse's station.

"We'll see you back in four weeks for the sixteen week check up." The perky nurse smiles at me.

"Let's just hope jellybean goes easy on me until then." I say rubbing my bump.
Lynn swears it's not yet visible, but I can see it.

Fortunately, my nausea has been getting better the past few days, and I hope the worst is behind me. I was hospitalised just two weeks ago from dehydration due to excessive vomitting.

I am turning to leave when I notice striking blue eyes fixed on me.

Shit.

Janelle Montgomery herself is filling out paperwork just a foot away from me. Or at least, she was. Now she is just staring at me.

Shit. Shit. Play it cool.

"Janelle, hi, how are you?" I greet with a forced smile.

"No."

Uh, what's that?

She keeps staring at me and I am feeling more than a little uncomfortable.

"Ready to leave?" Lynn saves me and I promptly make my exit.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit." That did not just happen. That was way too close.

But wait, why is she there? After my hospital visit, Lynn brought me to FetalHealth- LA's premier clinic for expecting mothers.

Is she?

No. That would be too messy.

Both of us pregnant at the same time?

"You might want to stop cursing before the baby gets here." Lynn comments as we wait for our Uber.

"Did you see who that was in there?" How can she be talking about swearing at a time like this?

"Who?" She asks looking disinterested.

"Janelle Montgomery." How did she not see her?

Her eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets when she connects the dots. But then, she breaks out laughing.

"It's not funny!"

"It is a little funny."
I swear one of these days I am going to strangle this girl.

"No, it's not. Do you have any idea how bad this looks? What almost happened in there?" If Janelle found out...

"Girl, you know I would have had your back if it came down to a fight." A fight? What is wrong with this girl?

"I'm done with you." Sometimes her youth really shows in her immaturity.

"Okay, alright. I'll be serious."

Like you know how.

I don't say it, of course, but it is right on the tip of my tongue.

"Now, how did things go?"

The uber arrives as I am narrating everything.

"Sounds to me like you're worried about nothing. You don't even know if she recognised you. Or if she even knows whose baby it is if she did." She tries to calm me down.

"I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about this."

"I bet you some ice-cream will make you feel better." She waggles her eyebrows at me.