epilogue

░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░

People always ask, "Was it worth it?"

And I ask, "The pain or the fear."

"The end result." They reply.

"No, because love is never worth it."

They always curl their lips and look at me like I am the idiot.

But what is love but pain and fear?

What is love, but for the weak?

Dear Chris,

I am unsure whether it is appropriate for me to call you that, but maybe I just needed it once more.

You owe me nothing, but I owe you everything. Sometimes, even one some call a genius are the most idiotic people. I won't apologize, even though I feel you deserve it. I won't apologize because you don't need my apologies. Growing up, I was shrouded by fear that one day, people who weren't there, would be.

Now, looking in the mirror, my childhood fear has become ridiculous, has it not? I do not have to worry about people becoming real, now I must deal with people who were there, not being there anymore.

It took me years to realize, but I'm the cause of the effects of love.

James E. Faust once said, "When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn. And where we end up is really in fact where we always intended to be."

You don't need my apology, but I will give you one anyways.

I apologize for believing you would ever betray someone you love.

I hold no guilt for leaving, because had I not yet, you would not be where you are now, and I would not have found it in me to feel some sort of semblance of love for myself. You showed me love. I showed you pain. For that, I apologize.

I have no right to say this, and yet I say it because maybe for once, my words will do you some good.

I'm happy for you. He seems to make you happy, in some ways, happier than I did.

I could have never been enough for you, but who's to say he cannot?

I really wish this wasn't goodbye, but I don't know if we'll see each other again.

So, Goodbye Christian.

Sincerely,
Spencer Reid.

People always ask, "Was it worth it?"

And I ask, "The pain or the fear?"

"The end result." They reply.

"No, because love is never worth it."

They always curl their lips and look at me like I am the idiot.

But what is love but pain and fear?

What is love, but for the brave?

Christian Walker was anything but.

░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░—░