Page 13

Andrew:

Ohmyfuckinggod that was so many stairs, people do this daily? How are they even alive? "I can see why you're so fit now." I say while gasping for air, he laughs. I love his laugh, it's so genuine and you can tell he can't control it when it comes out. "Well, prepare yourself, my apartment is 35 doors down" "good god" note to self: next time I'm at the gym, the stair climber is necessary.

"You don't have to go that far, you know?" his voice sounds so concerned, maybe it's because I'm doubled over? "Are you trying to force me to go back down those hellish stairs?" He laughs a little too hard. I'm gonna blame him for this later.

We walk down the hall, it's long and narrow, I feel like there is going to be a creepy set of twins at the end of it. The striped wallpaper is peeling at the corners and a lot of doors are broken, some people still live in them with the doors off the hinges.

When we get to his door, small black and white stickers label the door as 535. August pulls out a keyring with only 2 keys on it, I guess he doesn't have a car at all. He turns to me with his eyes showing obvious concern. "What?" "Umm... I'm gonna need you to wait in the living room while I clean my bathroom. I haven't been home since I was taken to the hospital." I nod. What exactly did he do anyway?

August opens the door and we walk in together. It's nicer than I thought it would be. The walls are a pale yellow and the carpet looks almost new. The furniture looks clean. There are a few alcohol bottles on the coffee table but otherwise, it's almost spotless. He has a big blue 'L' shaped couch and it looks really comfortable. there is warm sunlight shining through the window, it's almost as if it isn't in the same building. It smells strongly of alcohol and vanilla candles though.

I close the door and lock it behind me. "Sorry about the mess." he says sheepishly with his hand on his neck "it's cleaner than I thought it'd be honestly. I thought it was gonna be the typical 'bachelor pad; type deal" He gestures to the couch "do you want some water?" I nod and take my place on the cushion with the most sunlight.

it's just as soft as it looks. August brings me a water bottle and puts the alcohol bottles in the trash bin he's carrying. "I'm probably gonna be a while, if you want to watch tv, feel free. If you leave, just let me know so I can lock the door" "thank you." He smiles then walks back into the kitchen and digs under the sink for a bit and grabs some strong chemicals, he has about 3 or 4 bottles of hydrogen peroxide. "Do you need help cleaning? You're still hurt" it's concerning how much he's grabbing honestly. He looks at me and sheepishly smiles "I won't lie, there is a lot of blood, and considering that's a biohazard, I don't want to put you at risk."