Ch2 Page 18

Andrew:

Class went on for so long today, do I even want to be a nurse anymore? I quit the volunteer work because it was getting to be too much for me. It's 3 pm August is probably awake. I wonder if he got his phone working.

I send him a text "Testing, testing. is it working?" I quietly giggle at my own joke. I'm such a loser sometimes. My phone starts ringing and an annoyed picture of August covers my screen. He's calling?! He never calls! is he hurt?!

I quickly answer

"Guess who has a working phone?" He sounds so smug.

"Why did you call? you never call. I was worried." I scold

"Sorry I worried you. I have some good news though." It sounds like he's walking through a crowd of people. He's not at home?

"Let me guess, A circus recruited you to be the lion tamer?" I chuckle

"Ah, you're so close! I got a job." I can hear the smile in his voice, he sounds like he's really proud of himself. "Oh really? that's awesome!" I shout.

He doesn't talk about it but he's been pretty upset about not having a job.

"Yeah, there is a downside though... I'm gonna be working on new years eve and into the new year." oh. I was really looking forward to spending time with him. "I gotta start driving, but I'm heading to your house and bringing pizza! we're celebrating!" I yell as I hang up the phone. It was abrupt but I might cry. I was really excited to spend New Year with him...

I put in an order for pizza to pick up, then call Ashley. I like to talk and drive. "Hey pumpkin, what's up?" She sounds so chipper. "Hey..." I sniffle "Are you okay? what's up?" Her tone changed from excited to concerned. "Yeah, do you want to spend New Year getting drunk with me?" I ask trying to keep from sounding sad. "Of course! what's up, why are you upset? did you break up with August?"

"We were never a couple! but he's gonna be spending New Year's working his new job. I was gonna try to kiss him." I chuckle nervously. "Awww honey, you might have to start dropping hints that you're into him. Guys are oblivious." She laughs. "Maybe..." "Listen, I love you but I gotta get back to work. How about we go to a bar on New Year?" "Sounds good to me." Maybe I'll still try to kiss him. Who knows?

I unlock and open August's front door "Honey! I'm home!" I shout. I say it every time and he rolls his eyes every time. "Hey! I'll be right out." He shouts from his bedroom. I shut the door and start serving some pizza.

August walks out, his hair is tied back and I can actually see his whole face for once. "Hey." He says, out of breath. "You good?" He runs his hands through his hair "yeah, I was just trying to see if I have any work-appropriate outfits."He grabs his plate from the counter and sits on the couch.

"Oooh? fancy. Where do you work?" I take a seat next to him. I turn on the first show available just for some background noise. "It's a fancy little bar, well, actually, the inside is huge but it looks small. They pay weekly and I get to take tips home nightly." He smiles. "That's awesome! Can I visit you at work on New Year?" He blushes a bit "If you want to, I wouldn't mind it. I work from 4 pm to 2 am" 2 AM?! He is NOT walking home at 2 in the morning. "I can hang out and drive you home then," I state. He smiles and nods. I love his smile.