Ch2 Page 12

Andrew:

As we walk down the steps, August's expression shifts. Normally his face is very expressive, it's almost like he shut off all of his emotions and his face was devoid of the life it once had.

I look at the couple standing in the doorway, The man is tall and stands with purpose, He has short blonde hair and striking blue eyes. He's wearing a blood-red suit. His wife is slightly taller than him in heels. She has dark curly hair pulled into a bun and her eyes are dark.

Wait. is this the couple from August's photo album? Are these his parents? He told me his family died. "Hello!" I reach out and shake their hands. "It's been so long since we've seen you!" Dad yells. "Let's go to the dining room! We need to catch up." My dad starts proudly leading the way, me and August are following further behind.

"Are you okay?" I whisper. August nods but barely acknowledges me. Normally he looks at me. It's like talking to a wall. I reach out and grab his hand, but he shakes me off. He is not okay right now.

"I can't believe it's been almost TEN years since we've seen you!" My mom says while sitting at the table. "Has it really been that long?" The man asks, I can't remember his name. Harold? Harley? Henry. It's Henry. His wife is Christine I think.

"How's life been? Did you get that million-dollar contract?" My dad beams, he seems so excited.  August and I are seated next to each other. The table is made to seat 20 people so it's pretty long. The adults are at the opposite end of the table from us, chatting while they wait for food.

August is staring at the table, his eyes are vacant. "Hey, what's going on in that noggin of yours?" I whisper. "I'm fine. It's not important." He says. I don't like this tone, he sounds so cold and emotionless like he simply shut down.

We moved closer to the group when the food started coming out. About halfway through dinner, my parents start asking more questions. "So, What's Junior up to these days? Is he still dating that girl? What's her name... Gabriella?" my dad asks. "No." Christine says plainly and looks over at August. "He died a few months ago on deployment. He was in the military." she says coldly. It was so 'matter of fact' it gave me chills.

"I'll be right back." August stands up and walks out. The front door opens and shuts. "Where is he going? It's snowing out!" My mother panics. "He... said he'll be right back, give him some space." I whisper, but I can't say I'm not concerned too.