caught up in the wave of you.

Scandinavia - 600 BC

The fire was blazing as you sat with Druig, watching the Scandinavians celebrate the return of their gods.  He seemed agitated, though you were not sure why. The newcomers were nice enough. You learned from their talk with Ajak that you had not needed to come to Scandinavia before this because the Asgardians had a watcher named Heimdall that would tell them when the Deviants were attacking and they would come defeat them. They had only been late now because of their own wars.

As you watched them interacting with the humans, you realized how envious you were of them. They protected the humans, but they had no reservations in interfering. You had seen one of the Warrior Three helping some of the villagers build their hut earlier. It was such a small thing, in retrospect. But you couldn't even do that. Your only purpose was to kill Deviants. Phastos was allowed to create things under Ajak's strict orders to help them. But your power didn't allow you that liberty. You had to listen to them, monitor them for Ajak. And kill Deviants for them. That was your purpose in life.

You were pulled out of your thoughts as you saw Loki and Sprite having an illusion contest, creating different images that basked the area in a green and gold light. You laughed as you saw Sprite create an illusion of Loki as a crocodile.

Some of the others had begun dancing, and you grinned, looking at Druig. "Come dance with me," you said.

"I don't dance," he said.

"Oh come on," you nudged him. "Just one dance? For me?"

He hesitated, his eyes meeting yours. But before he could speak, you heard someone say your name.

"Lady Y/N, would you do me the honor of allowing me this dance?" Thor suddenly was by your side.

You felt Druig tense next to you, and looked at him in concern for a moment. He turned away from you and you looked at him questioningly before looking back at the blonde giant. "Oh um," you said as you stood. "I was actually going to dance with Druig."

"That's okay, I wasn't going to dance anyway," Druig said, leaning back on his elbows.

"Oh, um, alright then, if you're sure," you stood and took Thor's hand, letting him lead you to the others dancing in front of the fire. You looked back at Druig for a moment as you made your way there, but he wasn't even looking at you now. You had been sure he was going to say yes. You thought you had seen it in his eyes. But you were wrong.

Thor spun you around, drawing your attention back to him. You laughed as he pulled you to him. You couldn't help but look over in Druig's direction a few times as you danced, trying to not make it obvious you were gauging his reaction. "The grumpy man, he is your lover?" Thor asked jovially.

"What? No, of course not," you sputtered.

"Your eyes have looked at little else all night," he said. "I may not always see as clearly outside of battle as my brother, Loki, but even I have seen this."

You sighed. "He's not my lover."

"But your heart belongs to him," Thor said.

"I guess it does, yes," you said. "But I'm just a friend to him."

"My beautiful lady Y/N, a man does not look with that much jealousy in his eyes at his friend dancing with another man," Thor laughed. "Ah, and here he comes."

You gasped as you saw he was right. Druig was suddenly by your side, his jaw clenched. "May I cut in?"

"Of course, my friend," Thor stepped back, clapping Druig on the back as he winked at you. "I would never dream to steal your lady, do not worry, mind controller."