carve your name into those shining stars.

Nazi Germany - 1944
Steve Rogers's POV

It was supposed to be a simple stealth mission to steal Johann Schmidt's new device

It was supposed to be a simple stealth mission to steal Johann Schmidt's new device. Everything had been planned perfectly. The Howling Commandos would take out the perimeter guards quietly while Steve snuck in and Bucky got into position to cover his exit with his sniper rifle.

Unfortunately, things rarely seemed to go according to plan in Steve Roger's life. The alarm went off, and he could see Bucky in the watch tower, fighting with a guard. "Okay guess it's time for a change of plan," he jumped out and threw his shield at the approaching enemy soldiers.

He ran at the remaining Germans, kicking them back as he picked up his shield and blocked an attack. More soldiers ran into the fight and he sighed. It could never be easy. He tried to keep fighting them off but there were too many of them. They must have been prepared for an attack.

He took a foot to the gut, sending him flying back on the ground. "That wasn't very nice," he grumbled, trying to catch his breath. Three soldiers approached him, their guns ready to fire. His shield was on the ground a few feet away.

Suddenly, someone jumped at them from the side, sending the one on the right flying back. Steve used the distraction to dive and grab his shield, throwing it at the remaining soldiers as they shot at the newcomer. The figure waved their hands, and the guns flew out of their hands.

Steve only let himself get distracted for a moment at the scene before he knocked out the remaining guards. He turned to his savior, a woman he could tell, clad in a long tan trench coat and a purple scarf covering her face save for the eyes, which were golden. He wondered if he had hit his head, because they looked like they were glowing. "Thank you, ma'am," he said. "And who might you be?"

She raised an eyebrow at him, but did not answer him. "The information you're looking for is this way," she said instead, nodding behind her.

He tensed as he eyed her suspiciously. "Neither of us are going anywhere until you tell me who you are," he said. How did she know he was here to steal information?

"My name is not important," she said. "And I figured you weren't here to look for a wedding venue."

Wait, had he spoken that out loud? "I'm finding less and less reason to trust you," he said, gripping his shield.

She sighed. "All you need to know is that I'm going to help you get the information you're looking for, and when you get back to your camp, you can forget all about me."

"And why would you help us?" He asked.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, I don't think you're here to look for a wedding venue either," he crossed his arms.

She laughed, and the sound made the butterflies in his stomach flutter. He really hoped she wasn't a Nazi spy trying to trick him.

She eyed him. "Do I look like a Nazi spy to you?"