can't choose what stays and what fades away.

You were floating in space, Arishem's large hand under you, his giant eyes on you

You were floating in space, Arishem's large hand under you, his giant eyes on you. It almost felt like he was assessing you. Was this it? Had he called you here to pass judgment on you now? You wanted to speak, to ask him what he had wanted. But you were afraid. He was your creator. And Arishem had the power to end you right now. You knew you had to tread carefully here if you wanted to make it back to your body.

"You have sacrificed a Celestial to save humanity," he said finally, his voice grave.

"Yes, we did," you said. There was no denying it. You hadn't been there, but you'd been part of the uni-mind that had turned Tiamut to stone. If you'd known, if you'd been there, you wouldn't have done anything differently.

"Billions of lives will never be created, because of this," he said. "Billions of other species, like the humans you love, will never be born."

You winced. This was the trade off, you knew. It was an endless cycle. A species born to progress only to die to create more. When did it end? "There has to be another Celestial that can create that life. The humans, they don't deserve to die just to create new life. There has to be another way."

He studied you. "What is it about humans that appeals to you so much?"

It sounded like a test, the way he said it. You weren't even sure there was an answer he would deem correct. "They are strong and brave and worthy of a chance," you said slowly. "I have shared their thoughts since we came to the planet, and I have seen both sides of them. The darkness and the light. I have seen them fight their darkest desires and win. They are special."

"Then our experiment has failed," he said after a moment. That threw you off.

"What do you mean?" You asked. "What experiment?"

"The variant in your Earthly creation," he said. Suddenly, your surroundings changed, and you stood in a large hall, with dozens of humanoids surrounding you. You saw several with your face. You walked through them, noticing Druig's form beside yours. You reached up to touch his face, but stopped yourself.

"What is this?" You asked quietly, your eyes meeting Druig's. They were so lifeless in this form, it was unnerving.

"Each Emergence you go through, we make adjustments as we see fit," he said. "In your time on Earth, we decided to change your formula." The scene around you changed again until only your form remained, surrounding by starlight. "As Celestials crave the advancement of life, we infused you with our essence."

You gasped. "Why?"

"It was a test to see if humanity would advance at a faster rate for the Emergence," he said. "The experiment failed. You have grown too attached to the species. Your heart has grown too large."

Your surroundings changed again and you found yourself back in space, staring up at Arishem again. "Why me?" You asked. That's what you just couldn't understand. Why had you drawn the short stick? Why did they pick you?