taking a stand to escape what's inside me.

Washington D.C. - 2014

You were angry when you saw the files on the drive. Some humans never failed to make your stomach turn. You sometimes wondered why you even bothered to save them at all. Maybe it would be better to just let the events take their course and start again. No. You couldn't think like that. You couldn't fall into that dark place again. You didn't have anyone to pull you out again, not like last time. You didn't have Druig anymore.

You twirled the business card Fury had given you all those years ago as you debated whether you were going to get involved. On the one hand, the algorithm on this device had the potential to devastate the human population. You could see how it could be manipulated. You had spent enough time with Phastos and his inventions to see how it could be used for both good and bad. You didn't want that to happen. Regardless of the evil that still lingered in the world, you saw the good everyday. You saw ordinary people living their lives and falling in love and doing all the things you would never get to do, like having a family. You didn't have a family anymore.

On the other, this was a major event in their history, which you did not get involved in anymore. You had a feeling you wouldn't be able to do this one from the shadows, and well, that was a problem. You couldn't risk being pulled back in, getting involved. Especially because you hadn't yet figured out how to stop the Emergence or even when it would come. And your only source of information for it—well you would be happy if you never saw her again.

Could you bend your rules? Could you give in and help them? You weren't sure. But you decided maybe you could at least make the call. You couldn't just sit here with this information and do nothing. You sighed and dialed the number on the card. A woman, who was definitely not Fury, picked up. "Who is this? How do you have this number?" Her voice said.

"My name is Y/N and Nick Fury gave me this number in 1996, for emergencies," you told her.

There was a brief pause as the woman took this in. After a moment, she spoke again, giving you coordinates to a location. You wrote it down and hung up. There was no going back now. The least you could do was find out what they knew, and then decide if you were going to help.

You were busy with programming the chips to triangulate the Helicarriers when Steve and the others arrived

You were busy with programming the chips to triangulate the Helicarriers when Steve and the others arrived. When Fury had filled you in on the recent events, you knew you couldn't sit by and do nothing why millions of people were killed at the touch of a button. You still loved them. You had picked up enough computer skills over the years that this was easy. After all, it only took 10,000 hours to become an expert at anything and you had had nothing but time, especially over the last few decades when you were alone.

You had just finished and were walking to the others with the chips when you heard their voices.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha said as you entered the room. Their eyes all shifted to you. You saw Steve's entire body freeze as you walked over to the table, placing the box in front of Fury.