the sound of silence is a place we're dying.

You found Druig standing with Makkari on the balcony

You found Druig standing with Makkari on the balcony. Makkari had always been his best friend. You weren't surprised she had followed him.

"Maybe you can talk some sense into him, he's not listening to me," she signed at you. She shoved him and signed to him. "Tell her."

You sighed and nodded before she took off into the building. Druig didn't move from where he was leaning against the railing, looking out at the city. You stopped next to him, your arms on the balcony. "We need to talk," you said quietly.

"We really don't," he said, not looking at you.

"I deserve to know," you said.

"There's nothing to know."

"We both know that's not true," you said.

He sighed. "Just leave it alone, Y/N. Please."

"Druig, I saw your memories of that night, in Tenochtitlan. After the battle with Zgreb. I saw them. And nothing explains what you said in there. This is nothing like that," you said. "I can't leave it alone. I've been angry at you, for so long because of that night. I need to know what you meant."

He finally looked over at you. "You're looking for a way to redemption for me, for that night. And I can't give you that."

"Why not?" You demanded.

"Because I don't deserve it," he sighed. "No matter the reasons, no matter why I did it, I still did it. You shouldn't forgive me. I made you a promise that I would never control you. And I broke it. I don't deserve redemption."

"I don't think it's your call to make if I forgive you or not," you said. You turned him to you, your hand on him arm. "Tell me. Druig, please."

"Tell you what?" He snapped at you. "What do you want me to tell you? That I was scared I would lose you in an attempt to protect the humans? That I knew you'd never give up on them, even if it meant your life? That I was so fucking scared of that happening that I thought if I just hid you away, in the smallest corner of the most remote part of the world, I could keep you safe? That I was so, so desperate for it that I was willing to control you into coming with me? It doesn't matter, Y/N. Because I still lost you."

Your eyes widened as you took in his words. His attempt to control you. It had plagued you for so long. You had always wondered why—how he could do it to you. You could never understand why he'd break his promise, not when he knew that if he did, he'd lose you anyway. But now he was telling you he had done it in a misguided attempt to try to protect you.

He stepped closer to you, pressing his forehead against yours, his breath heavy on your face as he tried to calm himself.

"You're doing the same thing now," he said quietly, his eyes closing as he took deep breaths. You could hear his pain in his voice. "It's like I can't breathe in fear of losing you again, in fear of feeling that overwhelming loss of you. Now that I've actually lived through thinking you were dead, every ounce of my beings is living in dread." He cupped your cheek as his eyes opened, holding you in his gaze, his forehead still pressed against yours. "So willing to play the sacrificial lamb for these humans."