better not to breathe than to breathe a lie.

Brooklyn - 1947

"It's nice, this life you've created for yourself," Ajak said as the two of you walked down the street to your apartment from Yankee Stadium

"It's nice, this life you've created for yourself," Ajak said as the two of you walked down the street to your apartment from Yankee Stadium. You had taken her to a game when she visited. She had told you she wanted to do something American, having lived in South America and Europe for the last several decades. And well, nothing was quite as American as baseball. The Yankees had defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers for the World Series though and you knew Steve would have been pissed about it, if he were still here.

"It is," you smiled. "I needed a break after the war."

You had bought a little apartment in Brooklyn after the war. Steve and Bucky had always made it sound like such a magical place and with them both gone now, well, you thought you'd give it a try for a little while.

"I take it you found your solution to help them then," she said.

"I know you don't approve, but the war was never ending," you said. "So many humans were dying, for nothing. For hatred and prejudice. I couldn't stand by and do nothing anymore."

"I know," she sighed. "I know I am partly to blame for this burden you feel. I should have never made you read the humans as much as I did. I knew they were still too young."

"What do you mean?" You looked at her.

"Nothing," she said. "I just meant that I forced you to take them into your mind, and into your heart. How can you do anything else but want to protect them now? You protect the things you love."

You didn't say anything as you got to your apartment building, opening the door for her to enter first. You put on a kettle to make tea.

"Have you heard from him?" She asked you suddenly. You knew who she meant.

You tensed, your back still to her. "No." You hadn't seen nor heard from Druig in centuries. And you didn't want to. You were still angry at what he had done, what he had tried to do. "Have you?" You asked her.

"I visited him in the Amazon before I left for Japan when Phastos called near the end of the war," she said. "Do you want me to tell you what I saw?"

"No," you said immediately, taking the kettle off and turning slowly to take it to the table. You poured two cups for you both, sighing as you sat down. You didn't want to care. You wanted to forget him. But your heart was weak. "Was he okay?"

"He misses you," she said. "He is not the same as he was. He is even more withdrawn. Physically, he is well. Mentally, he is as damaged as you."

"I am not damaged," you looked at her. "I'm fine. Anyway, we're not talking about me. And why are you telling me this?"

"Perhaps it is time for you to let what he did go," she said.

"How could you say that? When you know what he did?" You demanded, glaring at her. "I will never forgive him."