La Jolla

"And I'm lonely

"And I'm lonely. There, I said it."
La Jolla
Wilbur soot

They sat In from of each other with nothing but the hum of George's heater and patches scratching for attention on Dream's end.

So, maybe George had lied two weeks ago when Dream asked him if he was okay with their friendship. When he'd insisted they leave their fling in the past. It was all for Dream's sake, he was the one with a girlfriend after all, and George wasn't about to put Dream's happiness in danger. Nor was he going to become a home wrecker over his own extraneous feelings.

"George?"

"No," he said immediately. "I don't want to talk about it. Look, I called because I need to apologize."

"You don't have to."

"I do." He cleared off his desk as he spoke, it was littered with little trinkets Ashlyn had played with before her nap. "I was drunk and shouldn't have called. Just like I shouldn't have called on my birthday. Fuck, we should go back to not talking to each other. It will be easier for you in the long run and-"

Dream snorted, "so you're breaking up with me, again?"

George, stunned, hovered a hand over a sippy cup before relinquishing it to the floor, "I've never broken up with you before. And that's not what's happening now."

"Sounds like it."

The British man sighed, "Dream I'm... I'm embarrassed okay. I don't know."

"Have you told Sapnap about Ashlyn?" If Dream changed the subject either meant he was avoiding the conversation or he had made peace with it. George knew it was the former but he relented.

"No, why?"

"Cause... well. We want you to come visit for Christmas, we have for the last two years."

"Christmas?"

Dream tilted his head while meeting George's wired gaze. It was a warm expression, despite the tension George brought upon them. Dream was always like that, careful and comforting. It's what would forever rip George to shreds in the long run. It's what also kept him tethered to the other man.

"Christmas, George. You and Ashlyn." Dream shrugged as if he'd made up his mind, "you can stay three months without a visa. It's like a tourist approval or whatever."

George dragged a tired palm over his eyes, "Christmas in the states. With a two-year-old. Dream are you insane! Do you not know how much work a child is?"

A lofty laugh filtered through George's speakers, "come on we miss you. And I wanna meet Ashlyn."

With his forehead unceremoniously smushed on the cold desk surface, George tried to think this through. Admittedly, he wasn't doing much for Christmas, just a visit to his parent's house. In the last two years, George had spent the remainder of the holiday alone with his baby. He'd watched movies and held her until he didn't feel so alone. God, two years ago George would have killed to have a Christmas spent in the states but now... it sounded like a pipe dream. What was he even thinking, Christmas in the states? There was no way it could happen.