Epilogue

"In this world it's just us" As it was Harry Styles

As it was
Harry Styles

Her room changed as she did. Princesses and butterflies to records and Chanel perfume she'd received for Christmas. George tried not to dwell on the time passing of his baby growing up, but sometimes it was hard when he looked at her and couldn't find those chubby cheeks anymore. Or the childish giggled at his lack of correct grammar.

George ran his fingers over Ashlyn's dresser. It filled the space after her toy box was no longer used, a small void left but never vacant. Pictures of her friends were framed on the right. The age of ten with the curly red headed boy she swore was her best friend forever. They met in kindergarten and kept the same class by chance up until freshman year of high school. George could feel his age as he bent down to pick up a stray shirt Ashlyn dropped on her way to dance class. Thirty six was old in his mind, at least his knees and back were feeling the number.

The walls were still lavender but the butterflies were now replaced with vintage records. It was a cold winter evening when four of them went to a thrift store looking for second hand yard supplies. He could still see the light in Ashlyn's eyes when she came across a box of vintage vinyl records. From the bed George watched Dream and Ashlyn run them over a record player to see which ones still worked. It was Sapnap's idea to mount the ones that didn't sound to the wall.

The front door of the house closed and George took a seat on Ashlyn's bed. A well loved bear rested in between the pillows of her perfectly made bed. Roni was his name. He was the protector of thunderstorms and monsters beneath her bed, George suddenly felt choked up.

"Oh, dad? What," Ashlyn looked around. "What are you doing?"

She was beautiful, that was the bottom line. Though her hair was brown as his own her eyes were a radiant green, wild beneath long eyelashes. George used to see her mother but as the years past all he could see was himself and fragments of Dream. Even if he wasn't her biological parent, she had his smile and the same form of laughter.

George looked down at the bear in his hands and tried to remember what he'd come in the room for in the first place. "I think I came in here to see if the other dance outfit thing made it out of the wash. Sapnap did the laundry."

"Oh," her brows furrowed while she moved to dig in her drawer. "Yep! And look it's not pink, he did it right."

Movement in the hallway caught George's attention. Dream was typing something on his phone while Ashlyn set down her bag and started taking off her shoes.

"Did your dad learn anything this time?"

Ashlyn snorted, "he kept stepping on my toes because he has two left feet."

George couldn't help but laugh, "what's he so invested in on his phone?"

"I dunno," Ashlyn shrugged. "I think it's about your birthday present... oh sh- I mean crap, I didn't mean to tell you that."