Drops Of Jupiter

"He listens like spring and he talks like June

"He listens like spring and he talks like June."
Drops of Jupiter
Train

"Put the chocky chips in here! Yeah, just like that!"

George smiled at the tilted image of Ashlyn and Sapnap baking Christmas cookies. Sat at the kitchen bar George tried to keep himself awake, but his arms were so comfortable on the cold surface of the counter. Ashlyn the simple baby she was, slept easily through the night while George lay awake and restless in a foreign bed.

"More chips!"

Sapnap's laugh was a welcoming lullaby to George's near slumber, "no! We can't have too much. We need some for later."

"Otay, Saps."

George's eyes fell closed while he listened to them bicker. He was on the cusp of sleep before Dream decided to join them. The smell of summer hit George immediately. Warmth and memories of swimming in the pool trickled in without warning or notice. Sweet kisses and the lingering taste of melted popsicles, Dream smelled like a vacation from reality. And he looked the part as well.

When George peeked over his elbows he caught the man drying his freshly washed hair with a blue towel. Every inch of his tanned ivory skin was flushed perfectly from the heat of the shower water. George felt guilty for constantly checking him out the way he did, dirty and in the wrong somehow. So, most of the time he tried not to look at Dream unless entirely necessary. Even then the man himself seemed to haunt him. Awake or asleep, George suffered in silence.

"Here wanna taste it?" Sapnap swiped a bit of cookie dough from the spoon and held it out for Ashlyn to try. George knew it wasn't the best thing to do, but as long as he didn't let her eat more than a little taste he was fine with it. Sapnap turned out to be great with kids, something to do with having younger siblings.

"You look exhausted," Dream said quietly. Just loud enough for George to hear over Sapnap and Ashlyn's chaos as well as the obnoxious Christmas music on his portable speaker. "Did you sleep?"

George shook his head against his arms, "no."

"Why not?"

"I dunno." It was being in this house again, It was sleeping in a room that still felt foreign even if it had once been familiar, It was missing Dream because he'd once warmed the other side of the bed.

Dream frowned while he brushed George's hair from the brown eyes. His touch lingered for a moment too long. Rested in wayward hair, Dream seemed to remember the familiarity touch.

George wanted to melt at the contact but he forced himself to stiffen instead. Memories with Dream were hard to decipher, and the softness had always felt like a trap. George pulled away from temptation and sat up straight.

Dream noted the defense but brushed past it by asking, "what are they making?"

"Cookies." George tried desperately to rub the exhaustion from his eyes, "I think. It honestly just looks like a mess."