8/ Unexpected return

.

.

.
"Senator Brandt, I regret to inform you that Captain Steven G. Rogers and Agent Evelyn Grace Salvatore went missing behind enemy lines on the third." Phillips spoke as a soldier typed out his words on a typewriter. "Aerial reconnaissance has proven unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers and Agent Salvatore killed in action. Period."

Peggy walked into the tent with Steve's and Evelyn's photo, masking her sad expression with stone face. "The last surveillance fight is back." Peggy said, putting down the photos and looking at Phillips. "No sign of activity." He noticed a wet line on her cheek but let it go. He know how great friend was Peggy with Evelyn and Steve and when Peggy found out, she couldn't believe her ears. 

"Go get a cup of coffe, Corporal." Ordered Phillips to Corporal.

"Yes, sir." Corporal stood up and left. Phillips sighed, looking around the camp.

"I can't touch Stark. He's rich and he's the Army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one" Phillips said, turning to Peggy who kept straight face. 

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers nor Agent Salvatore did either." Peggy said, glancing at Colonel but not turning her head.

"What makes you think I give damn about your opinions? I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy, one of my best Agents and a whole lot of other good men are dead, cause you had a crush." Phillips sighed again, walking to Peggy. He know about her cruch on Steve as did Evelyn, but Peggy refuse to admit it out loud.

"It's not like that. I had faith." Peggy said.

"Well I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down." Phillips said, noticing soldiers running one direction outside. "What the hell's going on out there?" Philips walked out of tent, Peggy following him after a while. When they walked to where are other soldiers, they see Captain America walking towards them with rescuied soldiers behind them. All of them are destroyed, dirty and tired, yet they keep walking with straight and strong faces. 

Soldiers who were in camp began to clap, congratulating them

Soldiers who were in camp began to clap, congratulating them. Colonel walked to them with stern look but inside is glad to see them, Peggy right behind him. As Steve stood in front him, he saluted. 

"Some of these men need medical attention. I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary actions." Phillips glanced around.  

"That won't be necessary." Phillips said and gave him thin secret smile. He noticed Steve has a little red eyes, like he was crying or something. He look around and noticed his best Agent isn't anywhere around. On Steve's left he noticed another soldier that has too but little more red eyes and is pale like wall.

"Yes, sir." Steve answered and Phillips walked off, frowning, Peggy taking steps toward Steve with secret smile. 

"You're late." She said, glaring at him but glad to see him alive. Steve pulled out his transponder, which is now destroyed.