Part 50

I look at the test, it's facing down so I can't see the result. I look up to Spencer who has tears in his eyes, why did I lie to him? I open my mouth to try to explain but then I remember we're in a car with Morgan and Hotch. I look at Spencer with pleading eyes but he simply closes his eyes and looks away from me. I reach my hand out to touch his hand but he pulls his hand away from mine. I try to figure out what was hurting him more, the fact I lied or that I didn't go to him about it. I may not know the result for sure but from Spencer's reaction it was pretty obvious that it was positive.

Thankfully, with Hotch's speeding, we soon reach the cabin. We all jump out of the car. I run around to Spencer's side. "Spencer I can explain that test." I say in hushed tones so that Hotch and Morgan wouldn't hear the conversation.

"Don't Alannah, not here." Spencer's voice is full of anger, I hated hearing his voice like that. "You shouldn't even be here, it's too dangerous!" The little note of concern in Spencer's voice was music to my ears, he didn't completely hate me then. If he's worried about it being too dangerous then the test had to be positive, he wouldn't be that worried and that annoyed at me if it was negative. I'm gonna be a mum. Now I just had to wait until I could talk to Spencer to see who the dad is.

"Later then." I reach my hand out to place on his arm to reassure him but he steps forward so that I can't touch him. I have to fight back a tear as I face forward as we prepare to enter the cabin. Just as we get close to the steps shots ring out sending us diving for cover. Surprisingly Spencer shields me with his body as we race back to the SUV for cover.

"You alright?" Spencer shouts over the gun fire.

"Yeah thanks to you. How about you? Are you hit?" I ask as I scan his body looking for blood.

"No." Spencer raises his head past the car, "Hotch and Morgan seem to be ok."

"What do we do?"

"We can't shoot into the cabin, we don't know if Josephine is in there or not." Spencer looks up again to try and get a sense of the situation. I however, am looking to the opposite direction. Luckily for us that I am because I spot a man holding a little girl over his shoulder as he runs into the woods.

"I don't think she is in there." I say, catching Spencer's attention. He looks in the same direction as I was looking just in time to see the man disappear into the woods

"We need to get Hotch and Morgan's attention."

"We don't have time for that." I say as I take off towards the figure, ignoring Spencer's calls while trying to dodge bullets.

I clear the shots coming from the cabin as I run into the woods. I carefully think about each step I take so that I don't alert the suspect that I was following him. I can just make up a little girls cries ahead of me above the gun fire from the cabin. I can't just stand here while the son of a bitch does god knows what to her. I run forward to see a man matching Theo's description pointing a gun at little Josephine's head, tears stream from her eyes as she cries for help. "FBI drop the gun now!" I shout trying to sound in control of the situation. My orders make him turn to spot me

"Not a chance you drop yours or I blow her brains out." Theo threatens, pressing the gun tighter to her head making her flinch and cry even louder. He has her held tightly in front of him, I could shoot him but it could cause a reflex reaction causing him to shoot her. The shooting at the cabin has stopped, I hope the team are on their way.

"Ok, ok, I'm putting my gun down." I say as I slowly hold my gun up and kneel to the floor to put the gun down before standing back up, I hold my hands up to show Theo that I'm not a threat. Being careful not to make any sudden movements that might startle Theo. "Come on now Theo, You know that this isn't going to end well."

"Shut up! Take your vest off and throw it to the side or I shoot the kid." I reluctantly do as Theo says, knowing that if I upset him he could kill Josephine. "I just wanted what that bastard owed me."

"I understand that, but Aiden and Josephine didn't do anything to deserve this."

"This wasn't my idea, it was all Philip."

"Let Josephine go and we can talk about it."

"Talk? You don't want to talk, you want to arrest me. We didn't mean to kill the kid. It was all Philip's idea, he came up with the plan to kidnap the kids to get their parents to pay up. But the first kid struggled he started biting and kicking Philip, so he pushed the kid off of him but he fell back and banged his head. It was an accident."

"You didn't kill him, it wasn't your fault. But if you hurt Josephine then it will be your fault."

"It doesn't matter, either way I'm going back to jail and I can't let that happen. I won't let it happen." Theo raises the gun away from Josephine's head, but now it's pointed at me.

"Theo, we can talk about this, we can get you a reduced sentence if you explain what happened." I try to plead but I know it isn't working. Why did I put my gun down?

"As if you're gonna help me. I'm not going back to that hell. You should have stayed back at the cabin. I would have been gone by now."

"You know I couldn't have done that Theo. It's my job to help Josephine."

"Yeah, and it's your job to put me away again, which is why I can't let you live." A loud bang rings out before I can get a word out. I don't have time to register what is happening until the bullet rips through my skin sending a wave of pain spreading through my body like fire. I look down to my stomach to see blood pouring from a hole in my upper abdomen. I can just about make out Spencer calling my name as I fall to my knees. All I can think about as the darkness takes over is my baby and how he or she won't even get a start at life...