Re-Adjusting

A few days passed on Vroenguard, Arya and Eragon had expanded their new home, giving Firnen a place to stay comfortably with Saphira. The pair had agreed to give the students a few days to get to know Arya a bit more, and to give Firnen time to adjust to hunting on Vroenguard. Zitha and Ovroth were out with Saphira, the three of them practicing the art of fire breathing. The students however were buried deep in the library, their eyes fixed on several different scrolls and texts. They'd done well for Eragons' test, but had lacked on studying ancient text, and so Eragon sent them off to the library.

Arya had busied herself with exploring the land on foot, getting used to the terrain and all of the buildings, the homes prepared for riders of the future. She often spent time talking to Glaedr, speaking of the events he'd witnessed with Eragon and the students. But she also spoke to him about Eragon himself, and his emotions.

I spoke to Saphira about it, but have you noticed it as well? Saphira said he's been... rather hesitant to express his emotions in the past years.

The elder dragon hummed in her head, Yes.. I agree with her. Eragon has been rather reserved, focusing too much on the students and not taking time for himself. He does not always sleep, he sits in the forest a lot. Saphira says he just stares at the sky talking to his ring.

I'm worried about him Glaedr. I want him to be okay, these past years have hurt both of us. Being Queen, was not for me, it hurt me and Firnen. But Eragon.. I know he came here on his own decision.. but he should've stayed in Alagaesia. I should've stopped him from leaving.

I agree.. he is hurt. It was wonderful in the beginning, it was a breath of fresh air for him compared to the war. But him being alone all that time before the students arrival was not pleasant for him. Saphira is right about one thing.. you being here is helping him. You see him, for him. Not as a killer, or a leader of the war, not as the First Rider of the New Era. But as Eragon.

Arya nods, walking up a path on a small hill, reaching a clearing in the trees, she had Glaedr's eldunari in a satchel resting across her body. She looked around in the clearing, finding Eragon sitting up in a tree, nestled in the long branches, his arm draped over his eyes to shield them from the sun. He was snoring softly, his chest rising and falling every few seconds. Arya smiled to herself, knowing he hadn't slept much last night to make sure he had a plan for the students in the next few days. Eragons' other hand rested on his chest, a small wooden carving in his palm.

She slowly scaled the tree, sitting just in front of his legs so he wouldn't wake or fall, she reached forward and gently grabbed the small wooden carving, it was the flowers he'd placed in her hair when they laid in the fields in Du Weldenvarden. A smile crept onto her face as Eragons arm rose, uncovering his eyes, "Y'know it's considered rude to steal m'lady."

She leaned forward and placed it back into his palm, "I was only borrowing kind sir."

He laughed lightly, sitting up and moving a bit closer to her, twirling the carving in his hand, "Well, it was going to be for you anyway, I guess that's not considered stealing." Eragon sat up and pulled her closer, humming softly. "And how are you liking Vroenguard so far m'lady?"

"It's beautiful here.. and its so peaceful. I love Ellesmera but sometimes it's overwhelming, and Firnen barley has room in the streets. I'm surprised he and Saphira were able to walk so close together without scraping their scales. It will take me and Firnen both some getting used to, but he's already happier, being with other dragons lifts his spirits."

"I'm glad to hear that, Thorn and Murtagh might visit us one of these days. Thorn is rather lonely himself living in the castle, Murtagh says he yearns for a companion as Saphira has Firnen and vice versa" Arya nods, shifting a little bit where she sat, leaning her head against the branch just listening to the sounds of the forest around her. She fiddled with the cuffs on her arms, gently unlacing them so she could roll her sleeves up. It wasn't unbearably hot, but being close to Eragon, and his body temperature melting into hers made the atmosphere around them a bit warmer.

"I'm happy for Nasuada and Murtagh though.. he's going to be a good father. And Nasuada is going to be an amazing mother..." There was a hidden emotion laced in Aryas eyes, her head pointed upward, starting at the clouds in the sky. It was due to rain, but no one seemed to notice enough for it to make a difference. Her lips were pressed into a tight line, and her eyebrows furrowed just a bit. Eragon's head tilted to follow her eyes.

"An uncle.. again- I guess my family's growing huh?.." Arya laughs lightly, looking back to him.

"You're upset? Is everything okay?"

"I, wouldn't say upset, just frustrated with myself... I want a family some day.. but I wouldn't be a very good father." Her eyes flickered down to his hands. Where he turned and twisted Aren around his finger repeatedly.

"What makes you think that Eragon? I can't agree with you however, I think you'd be an amazing father."

"I don't.. really know how to be a father?.. My uncle was caring yes, but most of the time it was work, or I was out hunting. And Brom, well.." Eragon went silent, his eyes boring into the gem on the ring, starting at the swirling pool of energy. Arya's eyebrows dropped as she reached for his hand and laced her fingers with his own, trying to offer a sort of comfort.

"Eragon.. just because you don't deliberately know how, doesn't mean you can't. If you ever become a father, wouldn't you want to be there for your child? Keep them safe and teach them? You've learned so much over all this time.. you would be a wonderful father." He looked back to her, peering into her eyes, trying to read into her emotions just a bit. They were close together, their body heat keeping them warm in the cool spring weather. He hesitated for just a moment before bringing their hands to his lips and gently kissing her knuckles, taking a deep breath.

"I just wouldn't want their childhood to reflect mine... I love Roran and Katrina, and I know he'd be a good uncle because he's an amazing father. My journey has given me knowledge I never could've imagined I would possess, but it has also given me terrible knowledge of death and grief. But.. I want a family, I want to show my future son or daughter the wonders of the world and the history of.. how the Riders returned, and the feats that you've done.."

"We've done, we Eragon. If you hadn't found Saphira's egg... who knows what would've happened. Galbatorix might still be ruling if you hadn't been in the Spine that day." He nodded and hummed softly, keeping their fingers intertwined.

"I don't know where I'd be if you hadn't sent the egg away... I think about it sometimes though.. would I have known Brom was my father? And would Roran and Katrina still be alive, not to mention Murtagh and Thorn."

"I wonder if Firnen would've hatched for me still.." She leaned forward, taking the longer bits of Eragons hair into her free hand, twirling it between her fingers. And if on cue, the trees around them bent and rustled as the sound of wings beating came into their range of hearing. The two dragon riders peered up as the shadow came over them, the large dark green wings covering the sun above them.

Hello little Raven, KingKiller.

Good afternoon Firnen, how are you liking the island? Eragons voice cast out to the two of them, his mood lifting just a bit as Arya brought her other hand up to continue to play with his hair.

I adore it KingKiller I can hunt freely and I do not have to worry about silly two leggeds being upset if I hunt their lands!

Arya smiled, adjusting herself to once again braid small bits of Eragons hair. As Firnen flew past, the sun hit her back again and she hummed softly, her drowsiness hitting her a bit hard. The royal elf gently placed her head on Eragons chest, the two of them having gotten more and more comfortable in closer quarters with each other, Eragons warmth helping her sleep at night without the shivering.

"Tired?" She nodded a bit at Eragons words, settling a bit more into his chest as they seemed to switch, his hands running through her long hair, pulling it down and weaving his fingers through it. He continued to play with her hair and gently rub her back as Arya slowly fell asleep on his chest, letting the sun hit her back.

~ Okay guys! I'm back with the next chapter!! If you saw when I posted the update, I changed the book cover. I may eventually edit the title, but for now here's a chill update focusing more on Eragon and Arya's personal time!! Until next time -Evyn :)