Travels

Saphira and Eragon flew as one again, they had begun to feel cramped and more or less trapped on the island. With Saphira able to fly as fast as she pleased, her emotions were only happy ones. Eragon felt no use for the leg straps, he knew she would not let him fall in any way possible. Her wings spread larger now than Gleadr's, she was not as big as Skruikan but he didn't know where he and Saphira would stay when she did get that big. But that was a long time from now, Eragon was nealy a hundred years of age, Saphira was about eighty three years old. She was large for her age even now, she had been large in her youth but now she was sure to be bigger than Thorn and Firnen. Her wings almost doubled in size as they were fifty years ago, but thirty years before that they defeated the Egg Breaker. She always kept her talons clean and sharp, the horns on her head and back Eragon had to help her clean, but other than that she took care of her looks with a pasion. She and Zitha had more of a bond because they held their vanity high, though Eragon still though Saphira shined brighter in the sunlight.

The talons on the tips of her wings could cut through wood if she allowed it, but her tail was even more deadly than before. It's weight could crush the skull of an urgul with just a flick. Eragon had always been sure to watch out for her tail if she was upset, as more times than one, she brought him off his feet with one sweep of her tail. But he loved everything about Saphira, just as he did when she hatched for him. But her tounge was what scared him the most, it could strip meat down to the bone with no effort. If he was being too stuborn for her liking she threatened to lick him clean like a mother lion with her cub. If that was brought up he shut himself up in less than a second.

Little one, strap youself in for a second. I am thirsty and need to dive down near the ocean to get a drink.

I thought you hated salt water?

Eh, not as much since we live surrounded by it.

Alright then.

He buckled his legs back in as she began to dive, she slowed herself as the water got closer. She only ducked her head into the water as Eragon expressed his want to not drench himself or his food. When she had dubbed herself satisfied she inclined herself back towards the clouds. Eragon unstrapped his legs when she made herself steady again and adjusted himself in the saddle, he layed forward and rested his arms on the base of her neck.

I missed this Saphira.

Me too Eragon, my wings have not stretched like this in years. I wish to do this more often, but I wish for it to be with Firnen and Arya at our side.

I quite like that idea. I feel as if I should get her a gift, or at least some flowers I don't know.

I think she would like flowers more than anything else, flowers are a sign of love for their kind though.

Do you think she would reject them?

Not at all, her letter almost seemed as if she could use some affection again. Eragon if you think about it, you are the only one who ever showed her affection like that, she was the princess then. Everyone else was too scared of Queen Islanzadi to try and capture her heart or hand. Besides, I know something about her that you don't. And I shall not tell you, it is her secret to keep and I would never share it without her consent.

Of course, that is how secrets work and I would never ask you to share that with me without her permission. But I think you are right, her letter seemed devoid of emotion for the world. I wish to at least give some of that back to her.

That would be wise Little One. You should place some of them on her desk too.

Agreed, but we have to get there first.

With all my pent up energy and how large my wings have gotten. We should arrive late morning tomorrow, I would like to eat tonight though. And i'm sure you'll want to move your legs around and eat on the ground.

Very well, eating in the air doesn't bother me actually, i've begun to like it.

Interesting, I will have to play that into my advantage when we want to fly.

And so they flew until nightfall, in which Saphira found an opening in the woods surrounding the base of the mounds of the Spine. Eragon felt at home in the woods, this was near the place he found Saphira's egg. So while she hunted, he wandered to the spot the egg had landed in flames. The base of the tree was still charred in black ashes, the folage had grown arround it, he touched it breifly and showed this memory to Saphira. She relayed his emotions of the past and reshared her memories of hatching in his small room. He touched the ash one more time before walking back to their camp. Saphira was still hunting so he leaned against her saddle and pulled out some of his food. He had allowed himself to eat poultry and fish but nothing else unless he was a guest somewhere and they provided these things for him.

As he finsihed his dinner, Saphira returned happily with her belly full. She offered him something he couldn't refuse.

Little One, if you fall asleep while I am flying we could leave now and be at Ellesmera by morning. You could sneak in before Arya even wakes and place your note there.

Well who am I to turn that down. Let me get this saddle back on you then.

And in a matter of a few minutes, Rider and Dragon were in the air again. They flew in the dark but Saphira knew her way better than most in the air as this was where she grew up. They flew over Therinsford and Caravhall, Eragon smiled as they flew over his childhood home. He promised himself and Saphira they would visit all his family and friends before they left back for Vroengard, but right now Arya was his top priority. As they passed Ceunon, he began to anticipate seeing the Elven cities again.

As the sun threatened to come up, Saphira landed as softly as possible just outside Du Weldenvardens largest city. He dismounted and greeted the elf who had run to look at the noise. He made sure he was quiet as he watched the elf begin the greeting, Eragon continued the ritual and the guard finished it.

"Aimon, yes?"

"Indeed KingKiller, what brings you back from the island?"

"You must keep this quiet, I am here to surprise someone. I have not seen her since the killing of the Egg Breaker."

"You mean Queen Arya. That warms my heart, the Queen has not been herself in a long time, she will be happy to see you again."

"I hope so, but I do not want her to know of my being here, that is the surprise. I will have Saphira fly far above Ellesmera so she or Firnen cannot see her, but I need you to help me. I would like to place this note upon her desk so she can meet me somewhere. I do not know where she does her work though, if you could lead me to it I would be most pleased."

"Of course KingKiller, right this way."

With a nod from Eragon, Saphira quietly took back to the skies. He told her to meet him a little farther away from here when he was done. But none the less he followed the elf to Tialdari Hall, he walked them through the long hall and to a large dark wood door. Eragon thanked him and slipped inside, the room was decorated slightly, but everything was organized as he would expect. He pulled the note out of his pocket and set it on the empty spot in front of her chair. He had made his handwriting a little neater than usual so she would not suspect anything. He then walked out, closed the door and followed the elf back out to the edge of Ellesmera. After thanking Aimon again he met Saphira along a small stream of water. He hoped she didn't think the note was a ruse to harm her.