37.

Be aware of the pov-switch near the end! it changes to 'no perspective' for a while. don't love it but i felt like it was the best thing to do :))

Stella.

"We need to talk."

"...Okay." I murmured, still frowning at Kristina who was in front of me in the hallway of my apartment, "How did you get in the building? Did someone buzz you up?"

She tilted her head to the side and slowly nodded, "Yes. Someone buzzed me up."

"How do you know where I live?"

"Stella, can I please come inside? I promise I come with good intentions. I just... I really need to talk to you." She sounded soft and almost desperate.

I chewed on my already chapped lip, hesitating. The moments I had shared with Kristina so far had been nothing short of nice. She was warm, friendly and kind. She didn't scare me, but I also didn't know her. It was definitely weird for her to just show up at my door like this. I never told her my address. She didn't even have my number. She was just a customer to me, just like I've had chats about books with other customers. I wouldn't invite them into my home.

"Please." She followed up.

I let out a breath and was about to agree, but glanced at the man next to her again. Kristina saw my look and softly smiled, "This is Alessandro. He's just here... for my safety. He goes everywhere with me. He's harmless." She explained.

"Alessandro." She alerted him before saying something in a foreign language, Italian I assumed. The man finally looked at me and removed his glasses from his face, giving me a polite nod, "Mi scusi, miss Cameron." He seemingly apologized with a thick Italian accent.

I was too dumbfounded to say anything so I just nodded back before Kristina gave me a pleading look, "I promise I'll explain everything once inside. Please."

"Okay." I muttered as I gave into her wishes. Curiosity took over so I stepped aside to let her in. I scratched the back of my neck, feeling the immediate need to apologize for my living situation, "It's not much." I spoke as I closed the door again, both Kristina and Alessandro inside now. He stayed by the door while she walked in further, eventually sitting down on the couch. She didn't comment on anything and just let her eyes glance around the room shortly.

"I haven't cleaned much, my boyfriend just left. We had a party last night." I explained as I quickly pushed some clothes away and shoved my shoes to the side. Kristina shook her head as she stiffly sat on my couch, "That's okay, don't worry."

I softly cleared my throat as I pulled up a chair and sat down next to the tv, slightly opposite Kristina. The tension in the apartment rose a bit to an uncomfortable degree as the evening fell over New York. I fumbled with the sleeves of my jumper as I looked at her, waiting for her to speak. It definitely felt odd to have her in this space. She seemed uncomfortabe, as did I. She also just didn't look like she belonged here.

Kristina seemed almost nervous herself, and nerves flew around my body in thought of what on earth she was doing here.

"Stella, I don't know how to tell you this." She sighed in admittance, "I-I rehearsed this speech so many times yet now nothing seems to come to mind. It's the biggest cliché."

I frowned as I let out a breath, "Okay, wh-"

"I'm your mother."

My lips pressed shut as I heard her words, and everything inside of me froze as I stared at her. I could hear a pin drop in here for multiple seconds. Even the city outside seemed frozen and quiet as I forgot how to breathe and wasn't sure how to blink anymore. Kristina shot me a sheepish look upon seeing my reaction, "Sorry. I shouldn't have just blurted that out."