The Fourth Wall

Q: What if the fourth wall was actually a physical barrier between canon and fandoms?

I walked out of my small house on Hermitcraft Avenue. The street was a big one; a lot of smaller streets branched off such as Grumbo Street and Crossover Boulevard, the latter of which led all the way to the even longer DSMP Street.

I had lived in other places here in Fandom as well, such as Disney City (now that was a confusing place) and Harry Potter Road, but my current location was the MCYT district. In a few months, I would probably move again. I was considering a cute little house on Encanto Street. But for now, I was fine here. I had a nice job here as an artist and an animator.

As always, I hopped into the monorail for Fandom City, the capital at the edge of Fandom. As the train turned around a replica of Iskall85's Omega Tree that someone had sculpted, I finally got a view of Fandom City in the distance. Soaring skyscrapers stood among smaller buildings. It was a hectic place, with people always rushing around to write the next chapter of their fics or make the next panels of their animatics. The buildings were just as unique as the fandoms they represented; some looked rustic and old, like they would fall apart at any minute, while some were clean and futuristic. The sci-fi buildings especially were like that.

We glided through the bustling metropolis, passing hover cars and boats that flied with pixie dust (we had the Peter Pan fandom to thank for that) as we headed to the monorail station. I looked at the buildings as we passed them. They never got old.

In the recording studios, cosplayers posed and acted in front of high-tech cameras. In the animation building, artists sat at long rows of desks and easels, drawing until their hands felt like they would fall off. AUthors (I did mean to do that) typed on computers and wrote in notebooks in small cubicles in another building. Billboards flew past my window, catching my eye with advertisements for merchandise.

The monorail pulled into the train station, which hovered in the air. I got off the train and stepped into the platform. The monorail pulled away after a large group of giggling teenage girls boarded, wearing Slytherin ties and obsessing over Draco Malfoy. I grimaced. I had been a part of one of those groups for a very short time, but now the thought made me cringe.

I stepped into a travel capsule, the Fandom equivalent of a taxi.

"The Fourth Wall," I said to the driver. He nodded and started the capsule.

The travel capsule took off and flew far above the streets of the city, past several docks where people's private vehicles were parked.

Then I saw it.

The Fourth Wall.

Many people, including me, dreamed of going beyond it. But it was just impossible. The wall was taller than any airplane could go, and stretched all around Fandom, enclosing the Fans inside a safe little bubble that only a few had ever left.

The Wall protected us from the view of the people of Canon. The source material. The beginning of every fandom.

The Canons knew that the Fans existed. Of course they did. But they didn't know about our work.

A few Fans had breached the Wall before and entered Canon. They had been recognized by Canons and returned to Fandom with crazy stories and amazing souvenirs. Some of them even moved over to Canon and received fandoms of their own.

The rest of us had to settle for watching.

I thanked the capsule driver and got out of the capsule on the cement platform next to the Wall. The capsule waited for another person to board before taking off and flying away.

I turned toward the Fourth Wall.

It stretched higher than the eye could see, in a shade electric blue. I walked up to the Wall and touched the glowing surface.

A small square of green appeared as the Wall loaded my profile. The words New material flashed on the screen, and then a new 100 Hours in Hardcore recording played. I watched GoodTimesWithScar's death, and then the whole fight thing at the end. I was surprised to see fWhip, MythicalSausage, and OrionSound there because they were never on Last Life, but it was still fun.

I HAVE A THEORY. Okay so the 100 hrs in hardcore is on the Last Life server, right? What if they're adding those three to Last Life if there is going to be a Season 3? I REALLY HOPE FWHIP AND SAUSAGE GET ON LAST LIFE THEY HAVE THE PERFECT AMOUNT OF CHAOS FOR IT.

After scrolling through a few more videos, trying to find out when Hermitcraft would start again (and failing), I hailed another TC, or travel capsule, to take me to my workplace.

It wasn't long before I arrived at the Art & Animation building. I rode the elevator up a few floors and entered the MCYT studio, passing people painting on easels, drawing on iPads, and using various other techniques to create art. The amount of Dream SMP fans was overwhelming.

I joined the Empires fans in the corner, where they were drawing their theories for Season Two. Empires was my current obsession, but it didn't have enough fans to have its own street yet. So most of them lived in the back country near the MCYT district, where most fans of smaller SMPs lived. However, I was also a fan of Hermitcraft, so I lived on Hermitcraft Avenue.

I glanced around one last time before sitting down at my desk with a pad of paper and a pencil. There was a large group of people in the Evolution section. The Evolution fandom population had skyrocketed after InTheLittleWood made a reference in Last Life. Their artwork had a lot of purple in it.

I stared at my paper, not quite sure what to draw. Maybe I could do just Solidarity as a warm up?

No, that didn't seem right. I thought some more.

Giving up, I walked over to the window and gazed out at the city, hoping for some inspiration. I saw the Fourth Wall in the distance, looming over the city.

When the work day was over, I headed back to the Fourth Wall to check for any more new content. There was none, so I logged out and hailed a TC.

Suddenly, a loud sound came from behind me, like shattering glass. I turned around and gasped in fear.

Cracks ran up the Fourth Wall, spreading faster than my eyes could follow them. "No, no no no no no no nooo..."

Looking for somewhere to hide, anywhere, I dove under the sheltered area where the TCs parked. And just in time too, because the wall came crashing down.

Huge chunks of it crashed onto the roof, denting it. The ground shook as the huge wall crumbled. People joined me under the canopy, terrified.

The dust took a long time to clear, but when it did, I couldn't believe my eyes. Spread out before me was a vast landscape of forests, hills, and rivers, eventually fading into the distance. Villages and cities occupied a few places.

Canon was beautiful.

Almost as if in a trance, I stepped toward the pile of debris that was the only thing separating me from the world.

"What are you doing?" A person said, grabbing my arm. His name tag showed that he was a Frozen cosplayer. "We need to tell someone!"

I pulled away. "We can go there now," I said. "Anyone can be a Canon."

"But... but..."

He didn't get to finish, because I had already started to climb over the rubble and enter the gorgeous world beyond. It was time to do something other than watching. It was time to meet the objects of my obsession. Of all of our obsessions.

And I wasn't the only one.

Hope you liked this! I don't really know why I wrote it. I was bored. Also, this does not reflect my opinion. I would be extremely embarrassed if one of the Hermits found Three Hearts or Broken Hearts, but I guess I would also be excited? Idk